Asimov: is it time to go to the can?

Interesting article on a bit of a trend of which I was unaware.
Cans have a number of positive attributes to recommend them (just as in the case of beer). Not sure what sort of shift in consumer mindset must occur, though, before people will routinely be willing to pay $15 or more for a can of anything.

Maybe bottle shaped cans can ease the transition.

Wine’s been sold in kegs for a long time now. It’s a great way to keep it fresh and cool and cheap for a house pour. Cans are a step beyond. But if you can do it in a box, and there’s some decent wine sold in boxes these days, maybe cans are OK.

The article mentions that how long the cans are stable is a bit unknown as the wine will eventually eat into the polymer lining. That plus the lack of oxygen ingress tells
Memthat these aren’t meant for aging.

But for wines I intend to consume within 1-2 years of purchase I’d be fine with this. Even prefer it, as it would massively cut down on storage for me.

Maybe just start with Rose, I’d be all over it for summer whites too. I wonder if you could economically build a window into the can to see color (doubtful)?

But you still have to keep those cans lying on their sides I’ve been told.
Tom

Muscadet Tall Boys!

24oz cans would be perfect for a dinner

1 Like

Field Recordings bottles a great Zin-based daily drinker in 16oz cans.

I’m all about cheaper packaging for the 99% of wines that don’t survive more than a few months after bottling.

1 Like

I’m not laughing. I’ve already broken three Coravins on these cans.

Of course, you need the right stemware. Riedel should offer a “canned” line to perfectly convey the nuances.

Or Riedel could just make the can. Pretty sure I’ve seen craft beer cans made by Ball.

Our club’s pool has a strict no glass policy and used to serve wine in styrofoam cups. Finally I got them off that, but still bring my own plastic or silicone wine cups. However, I have the bringing in canned rose for those times I don’t want a fully bottle but also don’t a glass of Whispering Angel. The canned rose I’ve tasted from our local broker was way better than any cheap bottles of rose I’ve had.

Hard enought o get a lot of consumers to switch to screw caps, let alone wine in cans!

Great way to end the dreaded pox. Montrachet under ringpull.

Just so fresh and clean…

Helped bottle Broc Cellars 2018 “Love Rosé” in March. I understand they pretty much sold out right away. You could buy the cans in 4-packs as seen in this photo.

love rose can and boxes.jpg
Obviously a wine that is meant to be consumed within the next few months so a good candidate for packaging in cans. Broc got a mobile canning rig (The Can Van) to set up in the winery and it went smoothly and quickly. First time I’ve helped with canning but I imagine it won’t be the last.

I’m a huge proponent of canned wine for near-term daily drinkers. Taking cans to the beach, to a pool shindig, etc. is so much more convenient. I’m liking the trend of the quality bar going ever so slowly upward with wine in cans. One could also extend this discussion in terms of comparing the arguable [slight] advantage of aluminum over glass when it comes to our environment.

Anyone have any recent recommendations for canned rose or sparkling that is decent? Planning a picnic and glass is not practical for a variety of reasons.

Aluminum has a huge advantage over glass in weight, which is great for shipping.

I’ve had decent success with the canned wines under the “House Wine” label. Way back, before they were canned wines, they were the brainchild and [one of the many] lines of the Charles Smith brand. House wine was the bargain-bin end of his entire empire. It’s been bought by Precept, but the wines are decent. There’s a still rose and a sparkling wine (or two?). I’d go there…not likely to knock your socks off as a wine enthusiast, but they won’t make you barf. They’ll likely be widely-enjoyed by the masses at a picnic.

1 Like

Myriad makes canned still and sparkling rose. I haven’t had them, but that would probably be the first one I tried if I wanted to dip my toes into canned rose.