TN: 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Beduccini (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley)

2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Beduccini - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (5/6/2019)
I virtually always enjoy Bedrock wines, but this one leaves me cold. It’s extremely tannic, without sufficient fruit to balance the astringency. There is also a bitter note on the finish, exacerbating the austerity of the wine. Perhaps this was a bad time to drink it, but with only one bottle there was no way to make a determination as to the optimal time to open it.

Posted from CellarTracker

From the release… “…in fact it yielded a barrel’s worth of aromatically gorgeous, richly structured wine that was too interesting not to bottle on its own.”

Puccini seems to have been one to benefit from patience, I had no plans to touch this for at least 7-8 years. Thanks for confirming that for me.

There was no aromatic gorgeousness.

Buried my only one deep.

For a little context, the 2011 Bedrock Puccini I had with Alex Stewart last month was insanely good and the WOTN against 4 other Bedrock unicorns. It was drinking very well but you could tell the best was probably still to come…and this was from the 11 vintage. Appreciate the early look Bueker but I would assume this bottle needs a TON of time

Yup…sorta, David. We had this wine two weeks ago:

and it was definitely an outlier in the Bedrock spectrum of Zins. The whole-cluster ferment seriously disrupted the
character of this wine. I rather liked it but it didn’t have the usual vulptuousness you get in the Bedrock Zins.
Tom

I kept the bottle for four days (air umped out & refrigerated), and tried a small glass each day. It never got any better.

1 Like

Worth noting, the Beduccini isn’t straight Puccini fruit.

I bought this, will give it a few years or more before opening.

Yep, I’m with you my man…but still has Puccini and Bedrock fruit…both which seem to shine with more age.

Regardless…for my tastes (and I know yours as well)…I’m not even thinking about popping a single vineyard 2016 for another 2 to 3 years…and for that matter, the OVZ. Like I said though, appreciate the super early look though Bueker

David,

Thanks for the notes.

I was annoyed at myself to no end for not ordering as soon as the email arrived, because my Beduccini wish list request was “unable to be fulfilled” two days later…

With your description, I am more relaxed that I did not get a bottle of ink and a 10 year test of patience.

That being said, I still jump at any new or unusual offer, because you never know. I wasn’t familiar with Sky Vineyard prior to Bedrock’s June 2018 Fall Release email, and I bought two which are still enjoying quiet time in storage. Turns out Bedrock has made Sky Vineyard Syrah in the past.

If Bedrock decided to mix some Pato Vineyard with Nervo Ranch and bottle a “Paterno Heritage” wine, I would buy it (ink or not) just to drink during a future Penn State game.

John

I was able to buy one bottle on a wishlist basis. I think I ordered the same day the release was announced. So what drinking window should I put in my notes?

<relocates Beduccini bottle deeper into the cellar, a place where the cobwebs are thick and the dust is 3 inches deep> :astonished: