TN: Turley WhiteCoat '16...(short/boring)

Tried last night w/ my white aspargras:

1. Turley TheWhiteCoat Calif (13.8%; Roussanne from RattlesnakeVnyd/GrenacheBlanc from PesentiVnyd/
    Vermentino from CobbVnyd/Amador) 2016
    : Med.gold color; strong peach/pear/Rouss/honeysuckle/floral very light pencilly/oak quite fragrant lovely nose; lightly tart quite rich/lush very strong floral/pear/peach/honeysuckle light mineral/Condrieu-like light pencilly/oak bit complex lovely flavor; very long/lingering strong Rouss/floral/pear/peach slight mineral light pencilly/oak finish; a really lovely Viog-like Rouss w/ hints of Condrieu minerality; though rich & lush, it stays far away from DollyParton territory. $39.80

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I have, of course, followed the Turley WhiteCoat from the very start, when it was first showed by EhrenJordan at an early HdR. At that time, it was entirely Viog and well positioned in the DollyParton camp w/ almost 15% alcohol. Since then, it has evolved over the yrs and been reigned in until what it is now…one of the best white Rhone blends in Calif.
    Tom

Thanks, Tom. I haven’t tried this in years, as it failed to impress in the past. May give it a go, though there is an ocean of reliably good domestic whites available for well under $40.

Yeah, been there, done that. Try some Rhône varieties from Santa Barbara!

I remember some of the older WhiteCoats - they were usually out of balance to me, way too alcoholic. At one point, they were using Alban fruit IIRC.

Good to see they’ve dialed back on this and I will probably search it out. One note about Paso white rhones - in general, I’ve seen a pretty rapid price increase taking place in those making these . . . other than Tablas, of course. It’s not uncommon to see some of these going for north of $50, and to me, it’s pretty touch to rationalize IMHO.

And yep, plenty of great options down here in SB County when it comes to white rhones - whether they be blends or stand alone versions. PM me if you’d like some suggestions.

Cheers!

Edited to reflect my own opinion. Except for Tablas, Paso is dead to me. Each of the last three times I visited I was completely taken aback by pricing pretty much everywhere we stopped.

Hmmmm…wonder why it never occurred to me to try any of those?? [snort.gif]
Tom

Brian, Kinero makes outstanding whites that are very reasonably priced $20-35.

Nice note Tom! Like you/others have pointed out, earlier versions of this were disjointed, hot, and just not that pleasurable. Local spot here has the current release so I’ll probably give it another shot based on your note. Thanks!

Tom, that was a general comment, I know I don’t need to point you in any particular direction. Thanks for taking one for the team and letting me know I haven’t missed anything.

Yup…I know, Brent. Just jerking your chain!!
Tom