2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

So, fine. I’m not a huge Bordeaux buyer, having gotten into it after the price hikes of 2009 and 2010, but had kids born in 2014 and 2016 and so invested in a few cases. Now to 2018. Have read the threads and preliminary reviews. What are you buying and why?

My first EP purchases:
6x Les Carmes Haut Brion
6x Calon Ségur

I am going to wait until tasting them. I’m not sure that this is a vintage for me, I am getter older, and 12, 14, 15 and 16’s are still available at similar pricing.

Might help: 2018 Bordeaux. - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I snagged a couple bottles of Calon Segur. Also have my eyes open for P. Lalande, Ducru and Rauzan Segla, but it will be a smattering of bottles total purchase limited to 1 case. I am at an age when buying any is questionable at best, and I am pretty stocked with 14-16’s. But it will be interesting to see how these wines turn out.

I’m stopping with the 14,15,16 run.

I bought case of Laroque. Seems like it could be a great QPR. Other then that, I will be buying LLC & VCC.

Yeah. That thread was a mess. Started a new one for a reason. :slight_smile:

I’d love to grab some Calon Segur, as the price is basically the same as the 2016…

Nothing.
Too old.
Cellar is too full.
Any Bordeaux purchases going forward would be backfilling.

If I were younger, I’d still pass on en primeur and buy on release. I prefer to see what people are saying about finished wines before committing. I don’t think there is a significant enough chance for a financial advantage to buying en primeur. That said, these are the ones that would have my attention now, based on the early reports, my experiences with past vintages, and expectations for costs I can justify:

Montrose
Meyney
Pichon Baron
Pichon Lalande
Pontet Canet
Lynch Bages
Leoville Barton
Branaire Ducru
Talbot
Rauzan Segla
Siran
Carmes Haut Brion (a new one for me)
Haut Brion (if I hit the lottery)
Haut Bailly
Conseillante
VCC (aspirational given pricing)

I was a bit dispirited by Calon Segur prices… at $105 I may go in for a few, but it’s not quite the deal that '16 was ($85 en primeur).

May also go in for Rauzan Segla (especially if it comes out at <$100), Meyney, Branaire-Ducru, Carmes HB, Chevalier, and Laroque.

Many of the Pomerols sound lovely (esp. VCC, l’Evangile, Conseillante), but I’m sure they’ll be above what I want to spend.

If spending $100 is too much for any wine, I get it. FWIW 18 Calon Segur is better than 16, it’s probably the best wine in the history of the estate. For that level of quality, personally I think it’s underpriced.

The estate has been slowly building and improving the brand. You can expect more price hikes in the future over time as it competes with COS and Montrose.

What does it mean to “invest” in a few cases. Is investing different from buying?

Given what’s happened to my portfolio this week I’d say yes

Don’t know, Howard. What does it mean to be “snarky”? Is it different from being “snide”? Is there a reason you’re trying to draw a distinction that I’m not? If I put money into something that I’m going to neither enjoy nor touch for close to 20 years, earmarked for my children, is it somehow inappropriate to call it an investment? But feel free to call me out on it, please.

I make no secret that all my Bordeaux purchases from the 2009 vintage on are for investment. I would be defying every actuarial table if I were able to drink them at prime maturity.

I bought them for three reasons

\

1. I still enjoy the chase
  2. My son can enjoy or sell them. My hope is he will drink them, and if so, that makes for a great personal investment in himself and
  3. I suspect they will easily outpace other investments earmarked for him.

In the meantime, the wines will have been professionally stored, and if he were to sell them, will be in optimal condition.

Oh snap, Noah is a flipper like Fu!?!

:wink:

Jeff - I get that it’s excellent, and a deal relative to comparably good “super seconds.” I’ll probably still buy, I was just hoping (optimistically) that it’d be sub-$100 and be another bargain of the vintage. Like Rauzan Segla in 2015 for $70 - i recently had my first taste and it was [wow.gif].

I’m curious if you think there are other standout QPR wines this year? Carmes? Rauzan Segla? I saw your note on Laroque - thanks for that tip.

Whilst the days of drinking for free are probably over in Bordeaux, by buying two cases and selling one ten years later, I think Jeff’s absolutely spot on about Calon, which he rightly called a few years back. All older vintages are increasing in price over here and 2018 is bound to do the same. Calon is a special case because of Cos and Montrose. Les Carmes sounds a good bet too - others I’m less sure about.

None. Too old…too expensive…don’t drink a lot of Bordeaux.

How much of it did you drink Neal?