TN: 2014 Chateau Sociando Mallet, Not Sung by OutKast or Alfert, except for praise

This is an exceptional vintage for Sociando. Yea I know, you expect such partisan BS from me on this classic, often idiosyncratic wine. But trust me, if you like classic Bordeaux, you need this. I mean really, it’s $30-$35 bucks. I’d say the best value in the world of wine today. F*ck hyperbole, I’m being serious. I’m drinking it right now. Two days open. And I’ve ordered yet another traunche.

This vintage actually drinks more like the special Jean Gautreau Cuvee. Shows a more Cab-based, Paulliac-like profile, with its deeper range of dark fruits and pencil on the nose. No green. No sh*t, this vintage throws no green. Ok, just a tiny hint, like Lalande. It’s perfectly ripe, while maintaining the crisp side of ripeness. Love the deep wet earth and tobacco palate. A full-bodied mouth feel. Chewy but sweetish tannins. Oak and alcohol so nicely in balance, just a mere back-drop note to the wine.

(94+ pts.)

Sounds like Rolland made it!

Lol, did you knock your head during that ugly mountain bike accident this past weekend!?!

No green?..hard pass neener

“Perfectly ripe”
“Sweetish”
“Oak and alcohol”

Our boy is in denial.

I didn’t say “none”. I said a hint. Like just the tip. You’ll like that.

Seriously, this is an excellent vintage for Sociando.

I was raving about Lanessan 2014 a few days ago. This is a whole ‘nother level.

Have a half case. When should I start drinking them? Or should I hold them for another 17 years for my daughter?

A hint of green in a young, cabernet-based wine can become a hint of eucalyptus, with the passage of time.

I’m interested. Been meaning to get some S-M in the cellar for a while, anyway. (Yes, I know, S-M, ha-ha).

Corey, just looked more closely at your avatar (from a distance on a small screen, it looked like Kevin Spacey in the head scarf)… I’m not sure I’ll sleep well tonight now!

[rofl.gif] Will this become the standard response to positive tasting notes from Robert? [worship.gif]

I like that very much, especially in Heitz. The green notes that Sociando throws in many vintages, especially leaner ones - though oddly, really really present in 2000 - are more herbaceous or of the bell pepper variant. It’s not a minty note.

I like the character of both.

Rollando hates, and wants to obliterate, them. His favorite color is purple; his least favorite color is green. I’m not sure he likes the color red, either.

Sounds like a dash of Cabernet Franc to me…

James

Singing or not, great notes, Robert. I’ll have to get some, although one of the good things here is that the price never rises much, so it’s easy to pick up later on. Actually I did find a sort of eucalyptus touch to the 01, but that’s probably just me. Poor old Michel, he does cop some flak around here!

Surprisingly, James, there is very little Cab Franc in the cepage. A major surprise. I have always said this is Chinon lover’s Bordeaux.

Anyone tried the 2016 Sociando?

Not I, but I bought some after reading Neal Martin’s note on it.

Just circled back to this thread upon opening my first of a half case of these. Alfert is spot on with his note. What a great value! Pick some up if you haven’t already.

Had my first 2014 Sociando
Uhh what a fruit bomb
And below 30€
Need to buy more [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]