Togni Vertical: 1983 to 1996

Gathered with a number of fellow Berserkers last night to sample a vertical of Togni Estate Cabernet covering 14 years from 1983 to 1996 inclusive. We were very lucky in that not a single bottle was corked. That said, one or two seemed a bit muted or dumb, but most were excellent. Some of my favorites include 1983, 1986, 1987, 1991, and 1994. I am not a note taker so will leave it to others to chime in and provide more details…
Togni Vertical 2019-05-08.jpg

Very nice!

I love the 1994 Togni but have found it needs about 3 hours to open up – every time I forget this, I pnp and think I have a bum bottle. This looks like a fantastic line up.

Tremendous tasting, guys. 1994 and 1991 are really outstanding (though I’ve had two corked bottles of the 1994). I’ve had several other of the vintages you tried, but those two stand out. Although out of your scope, I do have to say that 2001 is maybe the most impressive Togni I’ve had. I need to revisit it, because that was some time ago.

-Michael

@Mark Fister - was this an “important” or “unimportant” tasting? You didn’t specify in either the title or the body of your post.

Apologies in advance for being slow, but not sure that I understand the question. It’s been a long day, so perhaps this went over my head. This was neither important nor unimportant. Just had the good opportunity to sample this broad vertical with friends. Probably the main thing that made it unique for me was the ability to sample such a large, continuous series of vintages.

[wink.gif]

Sounds “important” to me in the context within which I described the term just now in one of the above linked threads.

I must also say I wish I could have been there. Few CA Cabs have really captured my attention over the years- Togni is one of those few. Bet it was an amazing night.

would have loved to get to try these. many favorites but 91 is a particular in part because of its uniqueness relative to its brothers

I’ve never had any earlier than the late 90’s and that was some time ago. Are the 80’s wines showing evolved? I’ve always thought of these as kind of immortal wines, but don’t have the patience to cellar for 40 years myself. Sounds like an incredible tasting.

What’s the point you’re trying to make here? Two unrelated threads to which you’ve linked have either “important” or “unimportant” in their titles. The third thread you link is one you started clearly because you have an issue with the use of those words. The OP in this didn’t mention either, and you chose to put this here? Color me confused…and a little annoyed.

Mark - very nice tasting. How were the bottles treated before you tasted? Were they popped and poured, or decanted?

Looks like people need to turn their sarcasm detectors down to the “Laube” setting to get what Ian was saying.

I love Philip Togni’s Cab S – the most Bordeaux like wine of the new world. I cannot afford it any more, but the 1992 is also outstanding though maybe best 5 years ago. These wines don’t need “40 years,” but 25 really helps them.

Wow that is an amazing line-up from one of my favorite wineries. I hope someone from the group posts notes.

I am huge fan of the 1987, 1990, 1991 & 1994 with 2001 being my favorite from the 2000’s. I enjoyed a magnum of 1992 in December of 2017 that was stunning and will open a 1988 Magnum this Holiday season, since I missed pulling last year. Thanks for the update.

Also a fan. The 1997 was one of the best wines I have ever had, and a recent 1994 was also superb. For those who enjoy Napa wines from the 1970s. Not sure they are 40 to 50 year old wines, but it will be interesting to see.

Nice tasting

Very jealous. Nice range there also where most of the wines were at least in a decent window.

Wow, awesome tasting - very jealous here too.

Thanks for the background! I got quite a chuckle from reading these. Given the context, I will provide a minimally better answer to your question which is “a little bit of both” [wow.gif]

I was somewhat surprised by the youthful exuberance of several of the vintages from the '80s. The '83 was probably my WOTN. The '86 and '87 were queen/king standouts respectively. '84 and '89 were very solid. Only '85 and '88 seemed a bit average to me. The '90 thru '96 were all excellent.

Given the large number of bottles (for my experience at least), I took the following approach: opened each bottle in the morning and poured out 1 oz. both to check for soundness as well as to help with Slow O. Then in late afternoon, I double decanted each bottle with a 20 minute window to “wake up” while in the decanter before returning to the bottle.