Why don't I buy more Louis Michel Chablis?

2008 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis Grand Cru Vaudésir - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (5/15/2019)
Beautiful and youthful wine. I have no record of purchasing or owning this, yet there it was calling my name tonight. Grand cru density; lemon cream, plus some tropical fruit carried on the shoulders of acid and saline soaked seashells. Great pairing with roast chicken. I can only hope more magically show up in my cellar.

1 Like

Because we can’t find it in Wahington?

100% agree.

Had a bottle of their 2017 AC Chablis recently off a list - drinking very well and a nice little wine for the price!

1 Like

My wife prefers the style here to Raveneau and Dauvissat. Suits me.

Jim Cowan is a big fan. I buy it when I can (rarely) find it.

1 Like

Great TN and great question. I’ve had good luck with cellaring them too; and every bottle I have had from them has been consistently good. Under the radar producer but not that easy to source.

1 Like

Envoyer seems to get a steady supply. Greg just offered the 2016 Les Clos yesterday. I’m also a big fan.

Had a bottle of the 2010 Monte de Tonnere Premier Cru last Sunday. Very fine and balanced lacking a bit intensity and length. But I liked it very much anyway and thought its at peak with no danger of getting old soon.

+1. Their 1er crus are superb value as well. K&L stocks them regularly as well.

Even though I stopped buying White burgs several years ago because of premox issues I have drunk and enjoyed quite a bit of Chablis from Louis Michel. Mostly from the '05-'07 vintages. I found the wines very good to excellent and did not see as much premox as some other producers. I bought all of mine from J J Buckley.

We used to get lots of the cuvees here, now sadly much less. A year ago:

"2012 Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Forets

My bring and, sadly, my last 12 Chablis. Last one was a good 'un. Lime and lemon aromas with slight touches of slate, limestone. This is a real beauty dans la bouche—it is clean yet with a gentle creaminess and a very pure lime note coming through. That purity is exalted by the arctic char tartare that they served this with–magical match. This is drinking superbly right now and is a delight and yummylicious exemplar of Forets."

one of few producers who makes Grenouilles, another grand cru Chablis. That and Vaudesir run under the radar.

I had a bottle of the 2006 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume last night that was delicious, I was surprised to see in Cellar Tracker that there were only a total of 20 bottles owned and guilty that I hogged 10 of them. [wow.gif]

My wife prefers clearly Dauvissat
Suits my Dauvissat dealer

2 Likes

My purchase of 12x ‘14 MdT halves from Envoyer last year (for something like $15/per) has been one of my more useful purchases.

These wines are far from grand, and I would disagree with anyone who would put them in the same league as Dauvissat or other top producers, but they’re very honest and satisfying.

I remember drinking 2008 LM Butteaux VV which I had bought from Envoyer way back when I was trying to figure out white burg. I loved that wine and it helped open my eyes to other forms of Chardonnay. The wines remain affordable (as a relative term when we think about perhaps other 1er Chablis) and I have enjoyed many of them, including the Montee dT, Clos, Grenouilles and Vaudesir. Good stuff.

1 Like

Yep—I pounced on that one.
I really love the Forets in most years also.

I just remembered that another good source for these wines is VinConnect which offers mailing lists for producers in Europe. Kevin Sidders, who participates here, is the owner.

1 Like

I e always thought they are one of the better larger scale producers. I Like the MdeT and get it when I can. The St Martin is a bit variable even relative to vintage, compared to say Drouhin Vaudon. I drink relatively little GC Chablis (at that price point there’s a lot of alternatives), for me the sweet spot is generally 1er Cru.

I haven’t had the Vaudesir but I’ve found their wines unremarkable except the Grenouilles.