Robert Parker retires

My very best wishes to Bob in retirement. I hope he is reasonably healthy and can enjoy what he has earned.

This is such big news, I suspect it will generate a dozen – or more! – posts on his bulletin board. (I couldn’t resist)

Ditto on both counts. I learned a lot from him back in the day. I wish him well.

Though a dozen might be overly optimistic.

Good, Bad or Ugly, RMP guided my early wine buying and I can admit that I was a point chaser.

Like Neal, I hope he can enjoy his retirement.

Similar thoughts. I hope he enjoys his retirement, his endless appearance opportunities, his fine wine collection, and his family and friends. Love him or hate him, he revolutionized the fine wine market, led many of us to many incredible wines (and Monkey 47 gin), and is certainly worthy of the Wine Hall of Fame.

[cheers.gif]

Wow, my first 100 point rating!

I am 100 points on this.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I agree.

I will let you know later. 4 so far:)

Cue magnums of 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape. I wonder if there will be another like Parker or if the circumstances that made The Wine Advocate (and Parker) what it (he) was will never exist again. Love him or hate him, people generally had a reaction.

Interesting times.

fred

He is an amazing individual who had a career like few ever see or experience. I will miss him and this is truly well deserved. I don’t think wine would be the near ubiquitous beverage it is in the US if it was not for his influence.

Yes, and come to think of it, whatever you think of his rating methods, he made a significant contribution to the idea that what’s important is how wine actually tastes, not how well known it is or hype.

Yes, and come to think of it, whatever you think of his rating methods, he made a significant contribution to the idea that what’s important is how wine actually tastes, not how well known it is or hype.
Bob Wood:

Quite true, except the rating itself becomes another sort of hype.

And Flannery. A number of us owe him a debt for that.

I too learned an incredible amount from Parker’s writing. I found him less relevant as the years passed, but he was a force in the industry up until he relinquished control of the Advocate, and it’s strange to think that was only a decade ago.

Like it or not, so much of modern winemaking is a product of his taste, and despite some roll back, he still remains hugely important in California, and he changed forever the fortunes of several wine regions, particularly Southern Rhone. My guess is that history will judge him favorably. Long may he enjoy his retirement, it is well earned.

Enjoy your retirement RPMJr

Most influential wine critic, possibly in history. A truly remarkable career- wish him nothing but 100+ pointers in retirement.

I could be wrong but my memory is the Jeff Leve introduced Parker to Flannery…

Wasn’t Parker a Lobels fan before Flannery?

<<>>

RMP was the voice that first brought Flannery from a Corte Madera shop to the fine wine geekdom.