TN: 2012 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

• 2012 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/17/2019)
    375ml at Del Friscos Boston. Great blend of red and black fruits with spice and floral notes. Smooth tannins and a seamless wine from start to finish, a great way to end the night.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Bob for the note. How long would you recommend cellaring? I only have a couple of bottles.

So many threads on Monte Bello suggesting that everyone wait decades before opening a bottle misses the point that these wines can be wonderful in the early stage, the mid-term, as well as the long-run. Just different types of delicious.

I would not be afraid to open one, depending on your preference, I think for the most part 2012 California is very approachable, especially compared to 2013.

Interesting and appreciate the comments here. My experience has been that there is almost a perfectly linear trade-off on MB. The longer you wait the more enjoyable (this was after a recent vertical back to 1978).

1. They really get so much better!

It all depends on preference, i had a 92’ for my anniversary in 2017 that was very similar to the 12’ but would have to say I enjoyed the 12’ a little bit more.