Anyone tried the 2017 Becklyns yet?

Got an email a few days ago regarding the 2017 Cabernet release, along with a new wine they are introducing using the best blocks of Missouri Hopper.

Can’t find anything on CT - has anyone tasted these at all? I really enjoyed the 2016 but am not sure whether to jump in on the 2017s or not.

Thanks!

Here’s the letter:

Friends,

It’s almost that time of year. The Becklyn Cellars release date is Tuesday June 4th beginning at 9am PDT. We will be offering the 2017 Napa Valley, Reserve, and Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper Cabernets along with our 2018 Sauvignon Blanc. I have some exciting news. Mike and I will be adding a new wine to the Becklyn family. We searched the best French oak barrel makers we could find in Tonnellerie Bel Air and Taransaud to hand craft the barrels for the new wine. We then picked the best row of the Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper Vineyard to source the fruit. What we are left with is a new wine called Pangkarra. Pangkarra is an aboriginal term translated as “Mankinds Relationship to the Earth”. The new artwork for Pangkarra is a painting of the famous Becklyn Tree done by artist Clay Crymes of Fayetteville Arkansas. We are excited about the 2017 vintage and look forward to sharing it with each of you.

Remember to drink a glass of Becklyn at the center of your universe!

Cheers
Matt Amber Hud and Levin

Wondering the same. Hard to pass but all 17’s have me a bit nervous. Will probably go in for at least a case as always.

Is the concern about smoke?

If Mike Smith makes it, I’m a buyer. He would never release an inferior wine.

Maybe, but some years are better than others . And 17 ain’t on the top of the list .

I’m confident mike and team will do the absolute best they can with the raw product, but the question is whether 17 as a vintage is significantly worse than 15 and 16 in my mind. Not concerned about smoke from known producers.

Makes sense , but with the supposed great 2018’s lurking that’s a decision making factor too.

Valid point. I’ll end up just buying it all :man_shrugging:t2:

Me too.

I’m more concerned about the heat spikes than about the smoke. I will temper my buying in the '17 vintage (across the board).
I need an excuse to conserve funds and space.

Same. More concerned about heat spikes. I have bought 2017 Myriad and will be buying 2017 Carter, but given I have heard absolutely nothing about 2017 Becklyn is making me weary. May end up going in small for a mixed 3-pk.

The 17s are much like the 2012s, but 100% no smoke issue

Awfully early for 17’s at this stage, mostly still in barrel. Their development across the Valley will certainly be interesting. There seems to be less negativity for 2017 as compared to 2011, but I betting on the former to be the superior vintage.

Bump since these come out in a couple days. Anyone try yet?

Matt - saw your mention of the 2012s earlier - any bit you can elaborate?

Yet the 11’s have generally turned into great wines, i am actively seeking out 11 cabs for the balance and complexity that the green notes and acidity bring to the wines. I know im the only person in the world who thinks this but i prefer 11 cabs to 13’s, the 13’s are just big monsters that i dont think will come back into balance before the fruit disappears

And it seems like they opened their ordering allocations early? I was able to login and order just now…

Grabbed 3 NV Cabernet. Had added a Pangkarra but couldn’t go through with the purchase without hearing anything about it. Looking forward to seeing how they fare at that price point against other heavy hitters.

No allocation available for me.

Think it was a test window, closed now