TN: 2012 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche

• 2012 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (5/20/2019)
    This is in a lovely spot. I have to say I’m a bit surprised it was so easy to enjoy on the PnP. A translucent ruby, with scents of smoke, dehydrated beef, lavender, and black pepper this is exactly what I wanted with our steaks tonight. This is light-medium bodied, with bright and vivid black and red fruits, a solid dose of tannin, and high acidity. Just a lovely wine…really something special. Outstanding!!!

Posted from CellarTracker

I think this is the most open vintage that I’ve experienced with Levet. Has some serious game to play out, as well. Nice note!

Yea,

As wide open as this was I’ll be drinking all my 12’s while I wait on my last 2005 & 2010’s. The next time I want Syrah I’m going to have a hard time not pulling a bottle of this to open.

Haha, no doubt. Forget about that 2010. We be drinking it in our crusty years. And will be happy as clams.

Nice, the 2012 sounds great. So nice to get a new-ish one already in the zone.

Drift here, but any skinny yet on the 2016 Levets?

Buy them while they’re still affordable…that’s the only advice I have.

They have gone up 40% post-2015 vintage.

I see the 16 Journaries for $65 and the Chavaroche for $75. The 15 Journaries was available less than $50?

Prices spiked on 2015. Before that, yes.

I’m a buyer at those prices. I was late to the Levet game, but early to pop one of the 2016s. Copying a note I posted here somewhere on the 2016 Maestria (Les Journaries):

• 2016 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Maestria - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (4/13/2019)
    The back label says drink at 5-12 years but this is my first Levet so the cork comes out as soon as I get it home.

Color: Deep Purple
Nose: Smoke on the water
Palate: Fire in the sky
Finish: Da da daaa, da da da daaa, da da daaa, da daaa

Seriously, it is deep purple. The nose is wild, with smoke, gamey bacon, pepper and herbs. Medium-full body, tons of tannin and acid but plenty of crisp fruit too, youthfully disjointed. Sometimes a young wine like this gets even more fiercely tannic with air but this mellows a bit after an hour or two in a decanter. A lot of fun now and a worthy sacrifice ITNOS, it will benefit from a decade to get its ya-yas out. When it does, it should be a killer.

Great note and inspired me to open a bottle! You are spot on…surprised how open this wine is!

I’ve felt the same way about some other Rhones as well, like Gonon, Benetiere, Paris Geynale, Texier Cote Rotie VV and even Chave. Sure these wines will be better in time, but they were quire accessible and very enjoyable. Actually, the Texier was spectacular on release, like amazingly open but not lacking in complexity.

'12 rostaing landonne was also fairly open (and delicious) on p’n’p, though this one did experience some tightening up after a few hours/on day 2. The nose was so intense I could smell it even with a cold.