TN: 1986 Chateau Clerc Milon, Pauillac

I’ve always had a fondness for this Chateau. And d’Armailhac. Baby Moutons. Bought lots of it out of law school, couldn’t afford the Mouton. Visited Mouton in 1996, tried all wines side-by-side, still vivid memories. I even recall this most excellent ‘86 when it was first released. Many times thereafter, too.

Seemed like a good night to pop my last bottle. Halcyon days of summer, not quite too hot during the days, absolutely gorgeous on the lake during the evenings. Sitting there now with the Goldens at my feet. Have no clue where the wife is, my errant son is at his men’s league match. Funny to call him a man now, but I guess he is. Just finished an invigorating 22 mile bike ride. Jumped in the cool pool, the old Golden followed, the young pup remains chicken.

This 1986 really is excellent. Just on the back-slope of apogee, but showing quite well. Classic Pauillac perfume of No. 2 pencil, rich cassis, tobacco and leather. The richness of the plate has leaned out over the years, giving way to some more nuanced flavors, underbrush, dried mushrooms, dried red and plummy fruits. A little bitter streak as a slight, but still interesting, detractor. Integrated, dusty tannins, some drying on the back. The nose and frontal attack carry the wine, but it’s definitely, like me, had its better day.

Hello old friend.

(92 pts.)

91D0F67E-BA32-40E8-B799-41A82AD30FA3.jpeg

This note is fire!!

Better?

Looking forward to when we pop the '05

Call me in 20 on that. Years, not minutes.

Let’s pop the 2005 Rougeard Le P next week. Jay’s recent note inspired me.

Great, great note, Robert. Life is good

Love 86 Lefties. Nice saunter down memory lane. Fun to think what I was up to that summer when the grapes were ripening.

PS. Great color that glass is showing.

Great minds and all that. Thanks Robert for saving me from starting a new thread. Had this Tuesday night, agree with your notes. Our bottle may have been a touch fresher, no drying on the back end but really just quibbling. Fabulous with a juicy aged steak. Like you say, an old friend but one who we have now lost, our last bottle :frowning:
IMG_20180901_180922.jpg

Awesome, thanks for sharing, Tom!

I drank these too young in my early Bordeaux days, but it was enjoyable.

I was in Miami partying like a rock star! Started my college junior year that Fall.

Thanks for the note… I agree that Clerc Milon is one of my soft spots in Bordeaux, though it doesn’t seem to get much love here. Love the Pauillac graphite and dark fruit, and the price point is fair. I’ve bought a number of older bottles at auction and had generally good experiences - I have a 76 and an 85 waiting to go. I have also been purchasing some recent vintages for when I’m old. Just took delivery last week of a 3L of 2015 for my daughter’s birthyear. Then again, I was still in middle school in 86. neener

Wasn’t it WS wine of the year way back when?

I think it was the 85 that was made some kind of WS list. We had an ok example of that a couple years back

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7285&p=60171

I just looked it up. 1986 Clerc Milon was #2 on the WS 1989 top 100 list. That was the second year of their list. FWIW.