CdP ???

We were tasting thru a bunch of CdP’s at BacchusBadBoys last night. Sorry…no long/boring TN’s.

I was noticing the CdP embossed btls w/ their logo on the shoulder. Some of them had the standard CdP logo
with which I’m most familiar. But some of them had that standard logo surrounded by a bldg-like structure, which
I assume is meant to represent a new chateau. At the apex of the roof was this obvious nipple-like protrusion.

Anybody have an explanation of these differing embossed logos??
Tom

I’ve always wondered how expensive it was to emboss bottles like that, I didn’t think it warranted it’s own thread. I hope someone will chime in.

Tom,

I was in CdP last month and tasted at Pegau. I asked that same question to Laurence. Her explanation was something along the lines that the older domains i.e Beaucastel, VT, … use the original design. A newer design was introduced when the domain numbers increased substantially in the 80/90s accounting for the variation. It was introduced as a marketing strategy. yet some, Rayas, do not use the logo at all. I have Harry Karis’s book which might offer more than my rudimentary reply.

Some also have a pope’s hat for the embossed area, I think.

Thanks, Gregg. That absolutely makes sense.
Tom

Could be, Greg, what I thought was a new chateau is actually a Pope’s bonnet.
Tom

La Fédération des Syndicats de Producteurs de Châteauneuf du Pape was the ordinal organization using the traditional bottle
In 1960 Syndicat Intercommunal de Défense Viticole de l’Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée Châteauneuf-du-Pape or
SIDVAOC was formed as a protest
In 2002 SIDVAOC introduced the new bottle: Mitrale
It is used by roughly 1/3 of the producers

This thread shows images of each:

https://www.guildsomm.com/4cb697f52c/discussion_forums/f/general-discussion/5340/rules-about-papal-crest-on-chateauneuf-de-pape-bottles

What Claus said. Differing bottle designs from two different organizations. Plus the producers with rogue designs (Clos des Papes) and those who use no embossing at all.

What Claus wrote and Greg showed - exactly.
There are also individual logos/crest used by some producers, e.g. Beaucastel and Clos de Papes.

There are different logos used by negociants trying to imitate these official logos - beware, usually they are not worth more than 12-15 bucks!
Rayas uses a simple olive green Burgundy bottle without any logo.

Thanks for asking that question Tom. No surprise there were folks on WB who knew the answers.
FWIW, the crown is officially known as the Papal tiara, believe it or not. Last Pope to wear one was Paul VI in 1963 which you can see in the Basilica shrine in Washington DC. I think it was sold off to raise $$ for charity.