Diamond Creek Offer - Only the rich need apply

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Diamond Creek Offer - Only the rich need apply

#1 Post by Alan Eden » May 29th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Diamond Creek is now retailing at $250 a bottle, i know its decent wine but that seems very expensive. even with 25% discount for futures when you add tax and shipping back in its over $200 a bottle
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Bill Tex Landreth

Re: Diamond Creek Offer - Only the rich need apply

#2 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I think the pedigree, age ability and current Napa Cab pricing supports that price point. I am not a buyer, but I don't see the price as very expensive compared to lots and lots of new comers that retail right there or above. Of course YMMV.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Anton D » May 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm
I think the pedigree, age ability and current Napa Cab pricing supports that price point. I am not a buyer, but I don't see the price as very expensive compared to lots and lots of new comers that retail right there or above. Of course YMMV.
Price discussions are tough.

I know it's the business owner's business to maximize profit, but I do feel sadly left behind from the days when this was a wine I bought.

As a consumer, I hate when prices of items I used to be able to afford inflate themselves beyond my means! They are obviously allowed to do it, I am allowed to kvetch about it! Fair's fair! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Bill Tex Landreth

#4 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Agreed on all counts.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

David Baum

#5 Post by David Baum » May 29th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Will be tasting there in a few weeks. Been on my bucket list of places to visit in a while. Its $95 and policy is no trade tastings, no trade discounts and no free tasting with purchase as they make about 1500 cases per year.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Alan Eden » May 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm

It does seem that Napa is going to get its butt kicked by Bdx if it doesnt stop these massive increases. I know Roy Piper is a great guy and his wine is awesome but he had two 20% increases in like 4-5 years going from $125 to $175, there are dozens more doing the same. It doesnt matter that cost of living goes up in Napa, the market will eventually revolt against regular 20% hikes. Diamond Creek is now more expensive than some really well known Bdx futures like Montrose, LLC etc and more than almost all non first growths except maybe Palmer
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Bill Tex Landreth

#7 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm
It does seem that Napa is going to get its butt kicked by Bdx if it doesnt stop these massive increases. I know Roy Piper is a great guy and his wine is awesome but he had two 20% increases in like 4-5 years going from $125 to $175, there are dozens more doing the same. It doesnt matter that cost of living goes up in Napa, the market will eventually revolt against regular 20% hikes. Diamond Creek is now more expensive than some really well known Bdx futures like Montrose, LLC etc and more than almost all non first growths except maybe Palmer
Just one example on where that falls apart is Pavie. Well above DC's pricing.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Eden » May 29th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I was talking about real Bdx not that right bank stuff

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 29th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Plenty of back vintages available for about half that - time will tell if the $200-250 pricepoint will work
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Craig G » May 29th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 2:31 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
Pavie is a 1er Grand Cru (A) now, same rank as Cheval Blanc.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Kelly Walker

#11 Post by Kelly Walker » May 29th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Historically, in my experience, DC wines needed many years of age to drink. Very St. Estephe-like. Was on their list in the 90s but decided I much preferred Bdx in that style. There was a long period in which the newer cults eclipsed their popularity. Looks like they are trying to get back up on the pedestal. I wish them luck.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Bill Tex Landreth

#12 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Craig G wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 2:31 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
Pavie is a 1er Grand Cru (A) now, same rank as Cheval Blanc.
Fair enough, but still not an original First Growth to which the OP was aimed I am sure.

Levi Dalton

#13 Post by Levi Dalton » May 29th, 2019, 4:06 pm

I visited Diamond Creek Vineyards for the first time recently. I found it helpful to get a visual on what the different parcels actually look like, how they relate to each other, etc.

OwenB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by OwenB » May 29th, 2019, 4:12 pm

It’s definitely worth the visit. The property is beautiful and the tour/tasting is great. I picked up a couple bottles then, but am not otherwise a buyer given the price point.
    8 A $ H A

Chris Atkins

#15 Post by Chris Atkins » May 29th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Not LLC, I bought 2016 for $299 per. I am looking much deeper into Bordeaux now. Forman at $115, and Dunn Howell Mountain at $130 are still reasonably priced. Regardless of what Napa vintners say I am cutting way back on vintage 2017.
    Last edited by Chris Atkins on May 29th, 2019, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Cooper
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#16 Post by Howard Cooper » May 29th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Don't many California Cabernet cost more than $250. Why single out Diamond Creek? At least they have a very long and illustrious track record.
    Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

John Morris
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#17 Post by John Morris » May 29th, 2019, 4:51 pm

1. Diamond Creek was one of the most expensive Napa cabs back in the 1980s.
    2. It has a track record.
    3. It's a relative bargain. Here are just a very few of the Napa cabs selling for far higher prices at Zachy's:
    • Opus One 2015 (750ML)
      $399.99

Colgin Cariad Red 2015 (750ML)
      $649.99

Dominus Estate 2014 (750ML)
      $259.99

Schrader RBS Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 (750ML)
      $479.99

Schrader GIII Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 (750ML)
      $479.99

Larkmead The Lark Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 (750ML)
      $484.99

Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 (750ML)
      $579.99

Lail Vineyards J. Daniel Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 (1.5L)
      $583.99

Araujo Estate Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 (750ML)
      $599.99

Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 (750ML)
      $599.99

Levy & McClellan Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (750ML)
      $695.00

Screaming Eagle Second Flight Napa Valley Red 2010 (750ML)
      $719.99
    "English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#18 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 29th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Corison is $95. Gets the job done for me!
    David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Markus S

#19 Post by Markus S » May 29th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
    It's like politics today: push and push until things break.
    Thing is, Diamond Creek has always been expensive cabernet. I remember in the late 80's, when the 'big names' (like Montelena, Stags Leap, etc.) were selling around what..$28-35 or so, DC was already up to around $50 (if I'm remembering correctly. If not accurate about prices, I am about the notable range).
    $ _ € ® e . k @

John Morris
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#20 Post by John Morris » May 29th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Markus S wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    Thing is, Diamond Creek has always been expensive cabernet. I remember in the late 80's, when the 'big names' (like Montelena, Stags Leap, etc.) were selling around what..$28-35 or so, DC was already up to around $50 (if I'm remembering correctly. If not accurate about prices, I am about the notable range).
    You're right as a general matter. I remember that, as a well-paid young lawyer in the 80s, Diamond Creek was out of my price range at a time I was buying super-second Bordeaux.
    "English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Markus S

#21 Post by Markus S » May 29th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 2:40 pm
    I was talking about real Bdx not that right bank stuff
    Ooooo...'dems fightin' words. [inquisition.gif]
    $ _ € ® e . k @

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#22 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 29th, 2019, 5:21 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 5:05 pm
    Corison is $95. Gets the job done for me!
    This.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#23 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 29th, 2019, 5:26 pm

David Baum wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 2:27 pm
    they make about 1500 cases per year.
    So $200 to get a relatively small production Napa cab with a proven track record and history of aging well, compared to mega-thousand case Bdx at a comparable price? I can see their pricing logic.

Now if you move down into the $50-$150 range, Bdx kicks Napa’s ass (Corison being a rare exception).

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#24 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Don’t ignore the Matthiasson Cabernet, Merlot and Red Wine. Serious stuff under $100. The Cab is around $60.

Thomas Keim
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#25 Post by Thomas Keim » May 29th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm
    Frankly, if anyone deserves these prices, it's Diamond Creek. They age well, and are from some of this country's very top sites.
    ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

R_Gilbane

#26 Post by R_Gilbane » May 29th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
    Not sure what Roy Piper or his wines have to do with Diamond Creek.... strawman
    Bobby

Anton D
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#27 Post by Anton D » May 29th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Sometimes, I think having a track record is what pisses people off.

If someone recalls a wine going for 30 bucks and now it goes over 200, it’s a case of thinking that the underlying cost of production doesn’t justify the price, it’s purely price hiking (above inflation costs, etc.)

Some new high end wine gets a pass because there are higher cost barriers to entering the market: grapes, new facility, etc.

A new cab from a new facility using purchased grapes might need to enter the market at a higher price and we nod along.

Jacking up the price of a wine just because the market may bear it tastes different.

This is not sour grapes, just commenting on how the same pricing may yield different perceptions.

I have no horse in this race, just thinking about human nature.
    Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

R_Gilbane

#28 Post by R_Gilbane » May 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Anton D wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 6:59 pm

If someone recalls a wine going for 30 bucks and now it goes over 200, it’s a case of thinking that the underlying cost of production doesn’t justify the price, it’s purely price hiking (above inflation costs, etc.)

Some new high end wine gets a pass because there are higher cost barriers to entering the market: grapes, new facility, etc.

A new cab from a new facility using purchased grapes might need to enter the market at a higher price and we nod along.

Jacking up the price of a wine just because the market may bear it tastes different.

This is not sour grapes, just commenting on how the same pricing may yield different perceptions.

That’s a statement that stinks of thoughtfulness and logic. I reject it outright on the grounds that Alan was miles away from that mindset’s zip code when he crafted the OP. Diamond Creek pricing has been relatively consistent for several years and unless I’m mistaken, Alan hasn’t been buying it. He used it to complain about Napa price increases, which is a macro matter.

Serious question: does anyone really think the pricing of one winery is indicative of an entire region’s future success or failure?
    Bobby

D@vid Bu3ker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#29 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 29th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Heck no, it’s not. Napa would have died years ago if one, or even several overpriced wines doomed the region’s future. Harlan, Screagle, etc. make Diamond Creek look cheap, and have for years.

Bill Tex Landreth

#30 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 7:30 pm

R_Gilbane wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm
    Anton D wrote:

That’s a statement that stinks of thoughtfulness and logic. I reject it outright on the grounds that Alan was miles away from that mindset’s zip code when he crafted the OP. Diamond Creek pricing has been relatively consistent for several years and unless I’m mistaken, Alan hasn’t been buying it. He used it to complain about Napa price increases, which is a macro matter.

Serious question: does anyone really think the pricing of one winery is indicative of an entire region’s future success or failure?
    No. Screaming Eagle’s pricing has no bearing or correlation to Napa’s success or failure.

They can charge two grand a bottle in a bad year and get it whilst the rest of the valley crumbles.

M. Taylor

#31 Post by M. Taylor » May 29th, 2019, 7:30 pm

David Baum wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 2:27 pm
    Will be tasting there in a few weeks. Been on my bucket list of places to visit in a while. Its $95 and policy is no trade tastings, no trade discounts and no free tasting with purchase as they make about 1500 cases per year.
    No issue with what they want to charge, but charging for a tasting at that price pint if you buy is a bit obnoxious. Purchased several at/near/above that price point, with similar or smaller production, with no tasting fee.
    M a r k

Alan Eden
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Eden » May 29th, 2019, 7:43 pm

R_Gilbane wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm
    Anton D wrote:

Your correct i dont buy DC but i do buy several cabs in the $100-$250 range. Again your correct that im just using them as an example as i am with Roy Piper, i have nothing against either wine just examples. If you look at Bdx the prices kept on rising but a few years back they hit a major speed bump and some rethinking was required, i just feel that Napa is getting close to a similar speed bump. How many people will ultimately support $200 cabs let alone the splurge of $5-600 cabs someone mentioned.

Robert.A.Jr.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#33 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 29th, 2019, 7:50 pm

John Morris wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 5:15 pm
    Markus S wrote:
    You're right as a general matter. I remember that, as a well-paid young lawyer in the 80s, Diamond Creek was out of my price range at a time I was buying super-second Bordeaux.
    Ditto for me but in the 1990s.

But I always did wonder. And now that I think about it, I’ve actually never even tried a bottle. And yet, sadly for me, have had several Screagles, Harlans, Sacrecrows, Mayas, Hundred Acres, yada yada. Besides Maya, the others were yawners.

Now I’m curious again. What mature vintages should I consider?

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Bill Tex Landreth

#34 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 7:52 pm

1995 is stellar.

1978 is benchmark Napa Cab from DC, but very spendy.

Robert.A.Jr.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#35 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:52 pm
    1995 is stellar.
    Which cuvee?

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Bill Tex Landreth

#36 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 29th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm
    Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
    1995 is stellar.
    Which cuvee?
    All three are very good, but if forced to pick one it would be Volcanic Hill for me.

R_Gilbane

#37 Post by R_Gilbane » May 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Alan, understand your POV. I’ve picked up DC bottles at auction (early 80s and 90s) as the only bidder and was subsequently blown away by how good they were. However, I’ve never bought direct and couldn’t tell you that I know anyone who has. I can certainly speak to the greatness and longevity of their wines from experience, but I wonder about the long term business model if very few people under a certain age group have ever tried the wine.
    Bobby

Kris Patten
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#38 Post by Kris Patten » May 29th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
    That is unfair....Roy pays the market price for fruit and prices his wine accordingly based on COGS. Most Bordelais, for as much as they may have paid for the land, own their property.
    ITB

Karl K

#39 Post by Karl K » May 29th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Slightly off topic

I remember in the late 90s buying some early 80s vintage DC from a grocery store in DC (Wagshals?) and the wines were in prime form.

Took them to Northern CA and drank them on the beach.
    K a z a k s

Alan Eden
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#40 Post by Alan Eden » May 29th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 8:26 pm
    Alan Eden wrote:
    That is unfair....Roy pays the market price for fruit and prices his wine accordingly based on COGS. Most Bordelais, for as much as they may have paid for the land, own their property.
    Im not attacking Roy, im just talking about the economics of Napa generally.

Nate Simon
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#41 Post by Nate Simon » May 29th, 2019, 9:46 pm

2007 be like, "I'm back, suckas..."

David Baum

#42 Post by David Baum » May 29th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm
    Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
    1995 is stellar.
    Which cuvee?
    Have had some stunning bottles from mid 80's

Charlie Carnes
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#43 Post by Charlie Carnes » May 29th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 7:50 pm
    John Morris wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 5:15 pm
    Markus S wrote:
    Ditto for me but in the 1990s.

But I always did wonder. And now that I think about it, I’ve actually never even tried a bottle. And yet, sadly for me, have had several Screagles, Harlans, Sacrecrows, Mayas, Hundred Acres, yada yada. Besides Maya, the others were yawners.

Now I’m curious again. What mature vintages should I consider?
    I'll bring one over for the next round of bacchanalian fun...
    So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Howard Cooper
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#44 Post by Howard Cooper » May 30th, 2019, 4:18 am

I have had some stunning wines from Diamond Creek, including a 1978 Volcanic Hill that was better (at least on the night we tasted it) than a 1979 Lafite. But, that wine was made by Al Brounstein, who unfortunately has passed away. I have not had any DC wines of more recent vintages. Who is making the wines now and are they still up to the standards of the wines made by Al Brounstein.
    Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Dave McCloskey

#45 Post by Dave McCloskey » May 30th, 2019, 5:36 am

Shhhhhhhh, Realm Cellars "The Bard".

Eric Ifune
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#46 Post by Eric Ifune » May 30th, 2019, 5:40 am

Back in the 80's they would hold their annual picnic where you could taste the new releases. Things have changed, I guess, since Al and Boots passed. But yes, they were for a long time the most expensive wines in the valley.

Levi Dalton

#47 Post by Levi Dalton » May 30th, 2019, 6:10 am

Boots has not passed away. She is 92 and lives on the property.

Markus S

#48 Post by Markus S » May 30th, 2019, 7:07 am

Kris Patten wrote:
    May 29th, 2019, 8:26 pm
    Alan Eden wrote:
    I'm a little tired of this argument because economic theory would suggest that, therefore, you (as a consumer) would simply procure the less-expensive alternative...all things 'being equal'. So we ought to drink more Bordeaux!
    $ _ € ® e . k @

Todd F r e n c h
    Site Admin
    <dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#49 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 30th, 2019, 7:44 am

Levi Dalton wrote:
    May 30th, 2019, 6:10 am
    Boots has not passed away. She is 92 and lives on the property.
    And frankly, when I went to the Diamond Creek website yesterday to check it out (I'm guessing DC got a few orders from this thread and the universally positive remarks about the wine, other than current pricing, maybe) and saw that the properietor's name is Boots, and saw her pic and her message on the site, I just about signed up to buy as well. Freakin' Boots! AWESOME!
    Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mark Golodetz
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#50 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 30th, 2019, 7:54 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
    May 30th, 2019, 4:18 am
    I have had some stunning wines from Diamond Creek, including a 1978 Volcanic Hill that was better (at least on the night we tasted it) than a 1979 Lafite. But, that wine was made by Al Brounstein, who unfortunately has passed away. I have not had any DC wines of more recent vintages. Who is making the wines now and are they still up to the standards of the wines made by Al Brounstein.
    Al Brounstein was a real character, obsessed by three things, his wife,Boots, the different Terroirs of DC, and finally how much people would pay for the Lake.

He showed me an article that put it in the top five.
    ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”