Father's day wine 2019? Help me 'wow' dad with a monster Cali cab

Hello, I used to post frequently on the Wine Spectator forums but I have been out of the wine game for a while now. Came back to do some research and hated whatever they did with the format so I registered an account here.

Anyway, I’m trying to find a California Cab or blend to wow my dad who is turning 80 soon. I’ve definitely tried over the years but never can quite amaze him.

He just loves classic Napa cabs and wineries.

What he loves:

Caymas regular and SS
Cask 23
Chateau Montelena Estate
Silver Oak Napa
Mondavi Reserve
Joseph Phelps
Heitz Martha’s Vineyard

Somes wines I’ve tried to get him to branch out with but he always reverts back to his classics namely Caymus:

Foley Claret
Gemstone
Mollydooker Enchanted Path
Mollydooker Carnival of Love
El Nido
Flor de Pingus
Tignanello
Blackbird Paramour
Don Melchor
Dominus
Karl Lawrence

Close to that wow:

Peter Michael Les Pavots
Bond Matriarch
Leonetti Reserve

So, any suggestions in the $100-$200 range? Maybe I need to get up over that $200 mark in Napa to really get something special in a modern big fruit up front style that might surprise him? Please no Bordeaux.

I was thinking maybe Kapcsandy is worth a shot?

I’m sure there is plenty of new California stuff I’m unaware of. Thanks.

He’s 80 . Give him what he wants/likes. No need to branch out now. Leave that for you, not for him.

2016 Bevan Wildfoote is massive as is 2016 Purlieu Tuecer. If you want jumbo fruit, those two will be good.

Forget that advice about him not branching out, you’re never too old for finding new loves. Get him an amazing bottle of what he enjoys, and then consider…
Maybach Materium or Amoenus
Harlan The Maiden
Futo OV/SL
Memento Mori Dr Crane or Las Piedras
Riverain Best Barrel Selection
Cade Howell Mountain Reserve…

this list can go on and on… And why stop with just one bottle? He’s going to be 80, and the more the merrier :wink:

You forgot to recommend Champagne!

Getting to the question…

Check William and Mary and see if they have any cab left.

Also Roy Piper, Pott, perhaps Alpha Omega, Robert Young, Spottswoode!

If he seems to like the classic wineries How about:

Mayacamus
Beringer
Dalla Valle
Seavey
If you want to push it $ wise then
Hillside Select, Staglin, Diamond Creek

He already has a cellar filled with what he likes. Yet another bottle of the same isn’t all that exciting for him or me.

Already did and I agree. I’m sure we all have our favorites but still enjoy trying new wines.

Get him an amazing bottle of what he enjoys, and then consider…
Maybach Materium or Amoenus
Harlan The Maiden
Futo OV/SL
Memento Mori Dr Crane or Las Piedras
Riverain Best Barrel Selection
Cade Howell Mountain Reserve…

this list can go on and on… And why stop with just one bottle? He’s going to be 80, and the more the merrier > :wink:

I’ve heard good things about Maybach so that might be it and considering how much the Bond Matriach was liked no doubt Harlan’s Maiden would be as well.

Thank you.

The 2013 Spottswoode gets rave reviews and has that classic style. Maybe a good way to go?

Nice list, thanks.

Never even heard of these. Definitely along the lines of what I was looking for.

Reading up now, thanks!

Happy to help. Hope one of them works for you guys

Second the Bevan Wildfoote and Riverain. Check out Bevan’s other wines also, particularly the Tench, EE and Calixtro…Harbison if you can find it at a good price

Another vote for Spottswoode and I would also suggest Dunn Howell Mountain. Congratulations to your father!

champagne.gif

Ed

Ordered the Bevan Wildfoote.

I’ll update the thread with how he (and I) like it.

Seeing as you can visit the winery I’m thinking of planning a trip. Now that would be a nice gift, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and I’m very happy to learn about some new wines!

Yeah, I was gonna suggest sending a PM [or an email or a TXT] to this board member and see whether he can hook you up with something nice.

Keep the $$$s in “The Family”.

Just checked, and he’s got insanely high scores at Cellar Track.

[People at CT tend to be very miserly & curmudgeonly when it comes to doling out the points.]

Monte Bello

2010 Shafer Hillside Select.

Myriad Dr Crane Elysian
Fairchild
Bucella
Roy Piper
Nine Suns

Treasure the moments…