2013 Chateau de Pibarnon - Bandol

Someone on the Mouvedre thread asked me to provide my impressions of the 2013 Chateau de Pibarnon (100% Mouvedre). On Saturday I popped open a bottle to accompany a Q’d Prime Top Sirloin. Unfortunately I didn’t give the near enough air time, because it was tighter than a bulls ass in fly time. After a couple of hours and long passed pairing with the steak the wine began to open a little and offer hints of black cherry, leather, anise and a bit of spice. On the palate it was fairly benign and honestly I didn’t get many of the same characteristics that came through on the nose. This Mouvedre was also a bit out of balance with a strong tannic backbone.

2013 wasn’t a particularly good vintage in Bandol, if memory serves me correct, therefore I’m not sure how much improvement I’ll see with additional age. I’ve still got a little bit left in the bottle, so if there’s something worth noting tonight I’ll post a follow-up.

Cheers. [cheers.gif]

A huge improvement imho, but only with enough patience (9-12+ years).

I have a couple more bottles, so I’ll let them rest and relax. I just resampled after 48 hr. air time and the rough edges have been smoothed out and the wine is showing a bit more character.