Value in Burgundy: 2000 Maison Leroy Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

• 2000 Maison Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (6/4/2019)
    Who says there is no value in burgundy? $50 wine with age drinking in the zone. Very balanced bright red fruit. Some tart cranberry with a nice streak of mineral. No telltale Leroy spice but also no oak and nicely integrated. Enough sweet fruit and structure to elevate it above the Bourgogne designation.I would guess Vosne Village but who knows where this is from. Drinks nicely with garlic and thyme roasted chicken. Can’t ask for much more than this on a Tuesday.

Posted from CellarTracker

$50 on release or now? In France the young releases are priced 50 € a bottle.

Had a bottle of the '99 the other week from an original case I bought on release - cost around $40, and very, very good for that price point…

Or so I thought, until I looked at the WS pricing (always a mistake), and the average price now is $308!

Now. Two retailers selling it for $44 and $49 on WS.

Wow, now that is a seriously good deal! FWIW I don’t personally agree with the claim that there is no value in Burgundy but then again I mostly do my shopping in the small stores outside the big cities in France and take advantage of the sometimes crazy low restaurant prices there as well.

I recently had an 08 bourgogne Blanc that was also in excellent shape. Picked up a few bottles of the 16 from garagiste, I think around $50 as well.

I drank through several bottles of the 90s at one of those restaurants with a 4x markup but they had 90s Bourgogne rouge for around $75-$90. All were very enjoyable and the 99 especially so.

I enjoyed several '99s purchased in about 2012 for under $30. There was some variability but good bottles were really excellent. Last vintage I remember buying was '09 at around $35. Not as interested at $60+ for current releases though.

Good to see though a 2000 Bourgogne still in nice shape at almost age 20…

When the '00’s first came out, I remember a people saying dumb things like “drink now or in 5-10 years max”.

2000 in both colors are drinking amazingly well right now.

+1. Such an underestimated vintage early on.

Fred, your note was so convincing I bought myself a few. $44 for a 19 year old quality wine is nothing to pass up. Knightsbridge in ILL.

Drinks best in the first hour. I hope you enjoy it!

This.