TN: 2011 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2011 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (6/9/2019)
    Full garnet color with clear edges. Beautiful syrah aromatics - raspberry, crushed rocks, charred meats, tapenade, paprika, sage & bay leaf. Crisp red fruits on the palate, seamless secondary layers consistent with the nose, elegant on the palate with terrific tension. Nice weight to the tannins, medium and fleshy with polish. Juicy lingering fruit on the finish - good length. Excellent, and drinking beautifully. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks. Might have to dig one out of the cellar.

When released, they said this more closely resembled northern Rhone than anything they had made before, or something close to that. Given that sentence and how long they age, I figured this was best left buried for many more years.

I drank all of mine. It was a great vintage for them. A Northern Rhone ringer.

I too am surprised it drank this well this early on. Glad it showed for you, Matt.

A very recent CT note prior to mine was raving on it, so I decided to open. It was drinking very well, but no doubt it’s early secondary - plenty of life ahead. No regrets though.

Thanks for the tasting note!

My favorite Cali Syrah, though I’ve never had the pleasure of Saxum yet. I do have an 09 James Berry in the cellar and plan on trying it sometime soon. Nice note, thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it Matt! We opened one recently and thought it was very nice. But I agree it’s still got many years of life ahead of it.

LM is a wine almost immune to vintages. Seems to chug along no matter what.

Thank you for the notes!

I wait until at least 10 years of age on these wines.