A surprising white and a minor miracle

First, the white. Had never heard of this one. It was on the list at Marna. Really grabbed me:

Medium body, with excellent balance and length. Smooth, but not at all oily. Of course, that doesn’t do it justice. The magic of this wine is in its complexity, a (successful!) marriage of the big and bold on one hand with the pure and mineral on the other. It held up well to salade niçoise, and reportedly does well with spicy foods. What is close to amazing is that all this is accomplished with wine from a single grape–which incidentally dates back to Roman or perhaps classical Greek times. I’m reminded (only because I had it recently–the flavor profile is not at all the same) of the Dirty & Rowdy Famiiar blanc, but that is a mix of wine from six or so different grapes.

Posted from CellarTracker

Then the surprise:

This wine is a minor miracle. Obtained from my aunt, who died a few years ago. She had it stored upright in an upstairs room, not air-conditioned, which certainly got to 90 degrees on certain summer days and the house was kept quite warm in winter. The bottle could easily have been stored that way for decades, she was not a wine person. So, and given the fact that this it was not expensive at all, I wasn’t expecting anything. When I pushed on the cork, it was ready to slide in but I was able get it out whole. About 90% wet, tho.

Then, surprise! Very good and definitely interesting. Completely integrated, with a strong tobacco note. Very good length and balance. The only drawback was a slightly weak flavor profile. After a night in the fridge with a Repour, however, it picked up some weight and the flavor integrated in a very nice way. Somebody is smiling down on this bottle!

Posted from CellarTracker

A poorly stored, but delicious Romanian Cab of 40+ years?!? Wow!

I’ll say!!

Dang!

2015 Guido Marsella Fiano di Avellino - Nice review. I’ve got two bottles of this wine, so I’m now excited to try it.