Willamette/McMinnville

Super last minute trip to McMinnville. Both of our twins are in BSA summer camp, and we get a chance to have a little vacation (long long overdue). We will only have Sunday afternoon, Monday, and Tuesday morning in Willamette/McMinnville then to White Salmon river/Columbia river area for three days. While I look forward to tasting Pinot’s, I really want to experience some of the area’s Chardonnays. We are not a big fan of California Chardonnay with a few exceptions - Liquid Farm, Smith Madrone, ect. I know several Berserkers are in the area. I would love some guidance as this was last second planning and our first time in the area. Thank you in advance. I will check WB on the plane!

my favorite chard I’ve had from the area is made by Walter Scott. also have enjoyed the chard from Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, and Lingua Franca.

Right within walking distance in McMinnville, you can visit Goodfellow, Winderlea/Brittan, Eyrie, and Westry. All make excellent Chardonnay and PN. You will have to make appointments. Eyrie recently changed to appointment only tastings.

On the second portion of your trip, you should be close to one of my favorite Rhone varietal small wineries, Syncline, in Lyle, Washington. Beautiful spot, and nice wines. I’m a club member there, and don’t do that lightly. Enjoy the Columbia.

Lots of great Chardonnay here.
Walter Scott (appt only -south of town)
Goodfellow (appt only - in town)
Brittan/Winderlea (open - in town)
Flanauer (?? - in Carlton)
Fairsing (open - E from Yamhill)
Martin Woods (appt only - SW of town)
Eyrie (in town) is closed for the next few weeks to remodel their tasting room, then appt only.
Brick House (appt only - 25 minutes NE of town)

So, today Sunday, June 16 through Tuesday, June 18. Might be difficult for appointments on short notice, but most tasting rooms should be open. I would suggest contacting wineberserkers Marcus G., Todd H., Vincent F., Jim A., etc. as soon as possible.

In addition to Rick’s list for Chardonnay, I would add the following:

Arterberry Maresh - the Red Barn should be open today in Dundee, but will be closed on Monday and Tuesday
Crowley - appointment only in Newberg
Evesham Wood/Haden Fig - Eola Amity Hills AVA, the tasting cabin maybe open today, but will be closed on Monday and Tuesday
Vincent - check with Vincent
Big Table Farm - appointment only in Gaston, but closed on Mondays
Twill - tasting room in West Linn is open today if you are traveling from Portland to McMinnville
Lingua Franca - Eola Amity Hills
Anderson Family - Dundee Hills appointment only available via their website
Ayoub - Dundee Hills appointment only, but Mo’s current Chardonnay’s are usually sold out by this time of the year
Bergstrom - the tasting room should be open in Newberg

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

James

I don’t make Chard, but can meet with you Monday afternoon.

Thanks - brief layover in Atlanta. You guys are great. Any cool lunch or dinner spots?

just came back from McMinnville and Woodinville…Goodfellow and Biggio Hamina are musts, regret that I did not get together with Jim Anderson…PN’s quite nice at Yeungberg Hill, Elizabeth Chambers has a nice one from Temperance Hill…There is a tasting room/store in the middle of town that offers at least 30 different PN’s…Don’t remember the name but shd be easy to find.

Valley Commisary or Community Plate for lunch. Nick’s, Thistle, Bistro Maison, or La Rambla are my favorites for dinner, but there’s 411, Red Hills Kitchen, and the Barberry as well. Pizza Capo is the new cool spot in town. Haven’t been there yet…

Pizza Capo in Mac is fantastic.

I’ll be at the winery Tuesday afternoon. I’m in the Eola Hills above Brooks.

I guess your BSA summer camp does not have scary ghost stories told in grave yards late at night. Ours did. My parents had to make a three hour drive in the middle of the night to rescue my younger brother who was unconsolable with dread that zombies would enter his tent and that his throat would be cut in the middle of the night. Please note that it was my younger brother and not me.

Sure Mitch.

You get the Hemingway award for that post…

Right.

Dinner? Thistle.

I also recommend Thistle.

I would second Youngberg Hill PN. Doesn’t get much recognition but quite good. Nice place to stay also.

We stayed at Yeungberg Hill as well, agree that it is a nice place to stay at…3 very solid single vyd PN’s as well as a blended cuvee PN

If you dine at the Red Hills Kitchen in the Hotel Atticus they are running my 14 Youngberg Hill PN btg.

-shameless plug, I know.