Forbes gives props to Lodi

Some nice press on Lodi. Would be interested in Berserkers’ perspectives.

Yup, Nate…I would agree with her take on the Lodi whites. They are, by&large, varietally correct. Maybe not necessarily profound, but for an area that gets no respect, they’re pretty good. Though I’v not found any Chards that I’ve really liked. The grapes with strong/distinctive aromatics seem to be the best. And they can sometimes be lacking In acidity.
Tom

It’s sad what happened to Forbes. Under Malcolm, it used to be an investigative sort of magazine with writers who knew a bit about their subjects. Now it’s basically an online click-bait site.

Anyhow, without an editor, you end up with lines like this: “The soil is comprised of Tokay sandy loam mixed with crushed granite, instilling balance in the soil that allows the fruit to retain its natural acidity.”. That got me skeptical but I read the article anyway.

I give them credit for trying to do something beyond Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, and a blend of Clairette Blanche, Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, and Picpoul Blanc, would be something I’d try. I haven’t had that particular one, but I’m just not sure what her comparison is. Has she had much Albariño or Verdejo or Garnacha Blanca from elsewhere? I’ve had several from Lodi and while OK, they’re not blow-your-hair-back wines. Lodi is pretty warm and I’m not sure about some of those grapes in that environment.

And Lodi is doing ever-more interesting reds, which seem more appropriate. I’m not sure what to make of the article other than for the writer to talk about some grapes that seem new to her. I haven’t had any whites from the region that I absolutely dislike, but I’ve had better from elsewhere.

Still, out of fairness, I haven’t spent a lot of time in the region so maybe it’s worth a visit in the near future.

The Tokay Loam is factually correct.

The “natural acidity”? Not sure there.

Thanks for the link - pretty good article. I’ve had a number of whites from Acquiesce and Bokisch, and one or two sourced from Mokelumne Glen Vineyard. I think the focus of the first two mainly on Southern Rhône and on Iberian grape varieties, respectively, is a good choice for that warmer Lodi climate. I agree with both Tom and Greg that the whites I’ve had from these producers are good - sometimes very good - but not generally great. As Tom mentioned, it would be nice to have more acidity sometimes. But the wines I’ve had from these places have been very pleasant and they tend to be relatively inexpensive, so it’s easy to give them a try and they can provide a good bang for the buck.

Some wines I had recently from Markus were eye-opening to say the least.

Well “comprised” does not mean composed, it means “composed of” so you never say “comprised of” because then you’re saying composed of of. So you would say “the soil comprises … sandy loam …”

And nobody has any idea what it means to “instill balance in the soil”.

But that’s all pedantic and has nothing to do with Lodi. So I say just ignore the article and enjoy some Lodi wine. [cheers.gif]