Tablas creek now has complete collection of 14 CdP grapes.

So cool! What an awesome vision to have seen to completion…or should I say fruition. champagne.gif

Great stuff. Do they still have the ‘original’ vines lining the front walkway?

This is pretty cool. Is this the only place in the USA to do/have this?

Been a while since I was there but they had actual clippings in a basket near the front door of the tasting room to take home.

Cool! Didn’t know they already had a Clairette Blanche for several vintages. Looking forward to giving that a try!

Cheers,

Steve

I’ll be there in a few weeks :slight_smile:

Tablas also has a big nursery arm and they sell cuttings of the Beaucastel clones. I grafted a few vines when I visited!

They still have a small nursery, but outsourced the commercial nursery work to NovaVine about 15 years ago (and I think other commercial nurseries also have some of the clones they imported).

-Al

I am a big fan of this producer, especially some of their very affordable Rhone white wines.

Well it’s a bout time! I thought they had done this years ago, as that was always their stated goal.

The last set of cuttings were brought into the US a number of years ago (probably 2010 or 2011), but they have to go through quarantine and then a series of treatments to rid them of any viruses that were found. This takes different amounts of time depending on the extent of the treatments required. Then the cuttings have to be propagated and grafted onto existing roots or planted on new rootstock (I think several of these were new plantings). Then it takes several years before new plantings have a commercial crop.

-Al

Kevin, PM me for when you’ll be at the winery. If I’m here I’ll show you around.

I’m visiting TC for the first time on Monday. I have a collector’s vertical tasting scheduled and cannot wait!!!

I’ve been a member and receiving TC’s wines for about 8 years and I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth it. They are priced very well, but the reds are thin, lack character and complexity in comparison to some of the other top Paso producers. I’m on the fence.

2016 Tablas Creek Côtes de Tablas Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Adelaida District (1/25/2019)
Day 1: Purchased this for $7. Wow! Tropical fruit, dust, match stick and floral notes. Concentrated effort and medium plus finish. Excellent wine. 91 points
Day 2: A little better with white pepper, floral, match stick, tropical fruit and lemon tart. Very balanced wine and outstanding every day drinker at the $7 price point. Almost impossible to find a better QPR wine in the word. 92 points
Day 3: Holding to form. Just drinking really well right now. 92 points
Recommendation: This wine has at least five plus years more of enjoyment. I lied this actually cost $6.60 not $7. (92 points)

Best $7 wine I purchased in Minneapolis since the epic 2007 Prum Rieslings deals for $7.