Calon Segur 1996

After a couple weeks on antibiotics, I could barely wait to get to some Bordeaux. I was reaching for a bottle of Trotanoy, and got sidetracked when I saw the distinctive Calon capsule. Loved it en primeur, bought a case. Down to my last few bottles, but it has been a few years since I last tasted it.

Out it came, cork was removed, it stood for an hour and was then decanted. Gorgeous nose, bright fruit, violets, spice, herb and a mineral element. Interesting, can’t say I was totally in love. But on the palate, I began to see the wine integrate. It is still young, the oyster shell was less pronounced, more a caress less a dominatrix.

The only other wine I can remember with that same element was Ridge Monte Bello 1985. By now the Calon was in fine fettle, and the wine kept layering itself into massive streams of flavor, as it wound itself into a long satisfying finish. It still needs time, but it is not far off. 96 points

Have had this a couple of times. Had a distinct herbal streak that I quite like, classic Cab sauv, but may not suit all.

I wish I had some now.

I’m happy to see these notes. Before we were married, an older Calon Segur was an epiphany for my wife and I, years before we collected or knew anything about wine. After we married in 1996, I decided this would be our anniversary wine when it was released. The heart on the bottle is apropos. We own more of this than any other bottle in the cellar (nearly three cases plus two 3L; hey, I plan to live and stay married a long time). We’ve opened one of these on our anniversary for over a decade. Years ago, these were tannic monsters. Each subsequent bottle seems to improve as time goes by. Our last bottle was the best yet, still structured but more elegant, with pipe tobacco, red fruit, cedar, green pepper. I’m glad you all enjoyed it too.

Cheers,
Warren

I remember some half bottles of this young in the year 2000, when we’d just moved to Oregon. Sounds like it’s held really nicely, will have to find a bottle at auction or like that.

I have a half case buried somewhere. Will have to find it.

Yeah, I have a couple, too–probably own more Calon than any other Bordeaux.

I bought a magnum on release. Still have it. One of my first investments into my cellar.

I very much liked the 1996 when I had it a few years back. 16 vintages of Calon Segur - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

An excellent and traditional Bordeaux in its prime right now. Really a bit early for Calon, but it is on.

I just stood one up, on deck for Saturday.

Cheers,
Warren

not a 96, but I just drank a 2000, 1 of 4 that I just bought at auction. Took a good 3 hrs before it started to come together. Going to leave the other 3 in the wine locker for another 3 years before again.

The 2000 surely needs more time, and likely more than the 3 years you mentioned. That’s why the 1996 is so surprising at this point. One of the best Bordeaux I had in both '16 and '18.

Johnny Depp - who some of you might remember from the iconoclastic 21 Jump Street tv show - has always been a big fan of Calon Segur.
MV5BNzNiODUyYTQtNDg1Ni00OGQ5LWI5YWMtYWFhMTI1MjYyNmJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@.V1.jpg

I loved the 1996 Calon-Ségur when it was young - sadly, unlike you, I was not sufficiently wise to shell out for a few bottles.

If Depp made and kept bank like Phil, he’d be chugging Ho Bryan poolside! It hath a good and most particular taste.

Thanks for the note Mark, before I saw this I had decided to take my remaining ten bottles out of storage, so doubly excited now.

The 1995 is finally starting to unwind, too. Had a bottle last week. Will be interesting to do the two side-by-side in another five or six years.

My unopened case of 1995 is coming out too