A brosé bronanza with the brochachos

Some time around a year ago having just bought a bottle of the L’Anglore Tavel I got this idea of putting together a tasting of rosé wines that go against the on-going trend of pale color and timid, inoffensive taste. It took a whole year to come into fruition but finally just before the Midsummer holiday we managed to get together with two other forumites (Mikko R and Otto F) plus two mates of ours. We lucked out with a beautiful, sunny weather and 0 faulty bottles. Next year same time same place? You betcha.

And then to short notes:

2017 Renardat-Fâche Vin du Bugey-Cerdon: A sweetish, low alcohol fizz from Poulsard and Gamay, never tried this style before. Tons of attractive sweet cherry fruit of the very primary kind. Despite obvious sweetness it is not cloying. Sports a good balance and is actually quite uplifting. Lots of fun in the glass, although I would probably not want to drink too much of it at one go. We also had the 2018 of this at the end of the evening but unfortunately no recollection of that one.

2018 Ausonia Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo Apollo: A very youthful (obviously) and fruit-forward rosé meant to act as a comparison to the Valentini. That it was and it was by no means a fair comparison but it is a nice wine in its own right. Richly red-fruited with a really marked acidity. Nicely bitter with good freshness. Not profound but very drinkable and food-friendly with no heaviness whatsoever.

2016 Château Thivin Beaujolais-Villages Rosé: Easily the wine least-suited to the evening’s theme, I was still very much interested to try this after enjoying Thivin’s red wines. Sure enough this is more like the ones to enjoy in the seaside bar wearing all white clothes but I would not turn down a glass. Excellent freshness and lift, this has held up well despite being a super cheap wine that probably should be enjoyed quite quickly from release. Bright fruited with notes of strawberry and gooseberry. Very pleasant if then quite forgettable.

2016 Domaine de l’Anglore Tavel: In some ways the most brosé of them all, this is damn close being a red wine. Tons of ripe, primary Grenache fruit on the nose. On the palate red wine like richness with a decent amount of tannin. Surprisingly tight, this is by no means an easy-going vin de soif despite its cult natural wine status that could indicate something like that. I like it but it really needs more time in the bottle. Don’t know if I would call this rosé blind, though.

2017 Château Simone Palette Rosé: A very herbal nose with some savory fruitiness. On the palate likewise remarkably savory with a fantastically firm mouthfeel and really high acidity. A very, very serious wine that took a ton of time in the decanter to get going at all. Incredible that someone is producing a rosé like this in Provence in this day and age. I guess they have enough money already? One for the cellar, no doubt.

2011 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel La Dame Rousse: Not all that aromatic yet rich, full-bodied and firmly textured. A true testament to Tavel’s ability to age gracefully, this has evolved to a very savory, harmonious state and is still very lively and balanced. A treat.

2008 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia: Certainly one of the wines that I had most been looking forward to, this one truly delivered. Awesomely “mature” nose that combines bright red fruit and oak in the most fabulous manner. Very savory without being herbal. On the palate chewy and firm with remarkably pretty fruit kissed by toasty oak. Fantastically crisp, just massively delicious. Go ahead, believe the hype.

2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia: Just very, very obviously oak-aged on the nose with a strong cocoa note and again the most glorious, mature red fruit. Tremendously vivid on the palate, very oaky and not that oaky at the same time, not fruit-forward yet not lacking any fruit either. Very spry, very tasty. A singular wine if there ever was one and managed to make me an even bigger fan of LdH than I already was.

2017 Azienda Agricola Valentini Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo: Some more baby-killing, but why not? Holy shit, this is just extremely firm and tightly wound. Hugely structured and serious, this is no light and easy fun which of course makes it all the more fun. In comparison to the L’Anglore this is as clearly a rosé as possible and also clearly a wine of the highest class. Lots of acid with a saline edge, I really enjoyed this but it is very easy to see this ageing well over several decades. I’ve been wondering about the price but now I get it.

To get the most out of these wines we also had some rather nice food:

Beef tartare with salt-cured egg yolks.

Pluma of Iberico pig.

The very same pluma expertly cooked in a BGE and enjoyed with summer potatoes and grilled cabbage.

1 Like

I :heart: L’Anglore Tavel “Rosé”

The colour on that pig looks more like cow. Amazing.

That’s the way to rose all day. Killer wines. Have not had the Chateau Simone and will have to keep an eye out for that one. Thanks for posting!!

best thread title ever?

I can’t believe this thread didn’t get more air time. Killer tasting, and something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. I have the 09 LdH, 17 Emidio Pepe cerrasuolo, Clos Cibonne, Tempier, and Cotat roses in the cellar. Am looking for Azienda Agricola and Ch. Simone, and L’anglore before it warms up this year…

In the US, I personally enjoy Pax Trousseau gris (a lot), Arnot Roberts touriga nacional, and Liquid Farm’s mourvedre. I have also seen Cayuse’s “Edith” and Antica Terra’s “Angelicall” come up at auction. In another good thread on rose wines, multiple posters recommended Larry’s Tercero Mourvedre rose highly. The search for a “wow” Rosé - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Any “can’t miss” bottles I’m forgetting?

I can - after all it is about rosé, not the new vintage of Dom or Comtes de Champagne [snort.gif]

Then again this was probably the most fun wine dinner I’ve ever been to and we had many genuinely great wines to boot.

Which Cibonne do you have? If you can find Caroline or Vignettes with age do not hesitate to go for it. Regarding Bandol Tempier is the forum favorite but I don’t think it is necessarily the best one out there. Ch Sainte-Anne and Pradeaux are great options too and another very good though not perhaps the most brosé of them is Domaines Ott’s Château Romassan. I’ve never had any but many have recommended Marsannay Rosés too - very recently a future MW friend of mine raved about Sylvain Pataille’s Fleur de Pinot.

Not sure when we are going to have another rosé tasting but so far I have lined up Francois Cotat’s hefty 14.5% 2018 and Tschida’s Birdscape from Burgenland. Would love to try those American rosés you mention but, alas, not likely to happen in Europe.

Larry’s mourvedre rose is excellent. Another consistently great American bottle is Robert Sinskey’s Vin Gris of Pinot Noir.

1 Like

The Clos Cibonne Tibouren Côtes de Provence Rosé Cuvée Spéciale des Vignettes is the one that makes it to my market. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it through several vintages, up to 3 years post release, but I can’t seem to hold them much longer! I haven’t tried the Caroline or Marius yet

I’ve had a few wines across Domaine Ott’s range including Château de Selle which I found a bit too linear and lean.

Do yourself a favor and bury some of the Vignettes in the cellar! I had the 2006 a couple of years back and it was as special a rosé experience I’ve ever had.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if any of these wines are available where you live.

Rosé des Riceys, definitely. One of the most substantial styles of rosé there is - combined with the acidity and minerality you get from the Champagne terroir. Olivier Horiot makes astounding wines that can age like crazy.

Then of course Chateau Musar and Niepoort Redoma Rosé - both age really well and often don’t even show their best upon release, but only after at least a few years under their belt.

Dominio del Aguila Clarete and Roxanich Rosé are interesting outside-the-box rosés that see a bit of oak aging.

Binner Si Rose and Terroir al Limit Roc d’Aubaga are wonderful examples from the more natural end of the spectrum - Binner being more wild and funky, Terroir al Limit very clean, firm and serious.

PS. which Azienda Agricola you were talking about? You didn’t mention any.

Since you brought up U.S. options I would say the Andremily Rose really fits the theme of what you strived for in the bottles you selected. It’s the most fascinating and confounding rose I’ve ever had, wickedly dark, beautiful, and begging to be left alone for several years in the bottle.

Brochachos, who was the cook? Looks amazing.

The discussion got me interested in Clos Cibonne, I can only see the 2018 Tradition around me. Anyone tried it yet?

The cook was a buddy of ours who cooks professionally and is also the sommelier of a restaurant called Wino in Helsinki. I recommend that you save the name in case you ever manage to visit the city [cheers.gif]

Bedrock!

You can get L’Anglore?
As David said Bedrock’s Ode to Lulu.
David won’t second this recommendation, Enfield’s Foot Tread Rose. Nice dark rose, light red. David and I would be in agreement on the rest of Enfield’s offerings. Note David would just rather have other Enfield’s wines in lieu of the rose, if I recall correctly.

2 Likes

You can get L’Anglore?
As David said Bedrock’s Ode to Lulu.
David won’t second this recommendation, Enfield’s Foot Tread Rose. Nice dark rose, light red. David and I would be in agreement on the rest of Enfield’s offerings. Note David would just rather have other Enfield’s wines in lieu of the rose, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Tom!

For what it’s worth - the Foot Tread Rose’ was very much inspired by a trip to L’Anglore back in 2015. Just seemed like a natural thing to do in California.

1 Like

My wife loves the foot tread and the Tempranillo wines. Loves L’Anglore too, but that necessitates a trip to Paris.

The most L’anglore American wine I’ve had (at least red) are Dirty & Rowdy’s Mourvèdres. One of these days I’ll make it to Helsinki (my partner is there fairly frequently for work) and will bring you guys some of the aforementioned roses, plus some D&R and maybe some bedrock heritage blends.

Let me just pull on my wine drinking pants

1 Like