2004 Chateau Talbot and 2014 Moreau Naudet Chablis

Had a 2004 Chateau Talbot last night. Seemed real promising when I opened it, but a bit later when we were drinking it (we decanted the wine and brought it to a friend’s house) it just kind of seemed flat and never really opened up. Not a bad wine, but nothing special either. Disappointing.

By contrast, a 2014 Moreau Naudet Chablis “Les Pargues” was delight. Chablis minerality. Beautiful flavor. Good acidity. Just very enjoyable to drink on a warmish summer evening.

Sorry to hear that, Howard, but sadly that reflects my own experiences with other St.Julien 04s. Gruaud and St.Pierre have been similarly underwhelming, Lagrange is goodish, L-P was OK, only Barton so far has been really good.

Howard - Your post prompted to see what Jeff Leve has to say about the estate these days on his website, and I came on this bizarre bit of information:

Chateau Talbot has also begun experimenting with the Genodics system in their Medoc vineyards. The Genodics system emits various sounds and frequencies to enhance or curtail the growth of proteins in the vines.

Anyone heard of this technique before?

I have not heard of that John, but your post prompted me to look at Jeff’s wonderful site where I found that “Jean-Michel Laporte was named the director of the estate, a position he previously held at Chateau La Conseillante in Pomerol.” This would seem to be good!!!

Pretty much sums up most of Bordeaux 2004s that I had.

Maybe they all went the Genodics way in that year. [cheers.gif]