It`s time for Rosé - summertime and the living is easy

I can’t remember such high temperatures in June since I landed on this planet. Climate change is coming really fast. In the coming days we expect 35-40C in Berlin. Of course last year was already one of the hottest summer ever, but such high temperatures in June?! Anyway here comes the perfect drink for such days…

2018 AIX Rosé

As a Riesling-aficionado I rarely drink Rosé, but 37C are 37C. And as you could imagine it is not easy to impress me with Rosé. But this Rosé impressed me yesterday night together with Pulpo à la plancha.

No kitsch, instead smooth, fresh and elegant with flavors of melon and strawberry. Based on Grenache, Syrah and Cinsaut. Around 13€. BUY

IMG_9165.JPG
Gin Gin
Martin

As I´ve posted before I´m absolutely no fan of Rosé … I´ll take a lively white every and all time instead.

The only case would be when in France, when it´s hot … and when absolutely no scrisp, lively white with apropriate acidity is available …
But a Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscadet (Sevre et Maine) is usually a great choice …

Here in Austria we have so many fine light whites (Sauvignion blanc, Welschriesling, Muskateller, Riesling Steinfeder, GV etc.) there is absolutely no need to grab a rosé …
(and I´m no fan of Schilcher either …)

I wouldn’t argue with you as a general point about reaching for a white before a rose. But sometimes in the heat of the summer I like reaching for a rose, especially with a group at the beach or out on the deck. Just festive and fun and crowd-pleasing. From your general neck of the woods I enjoy a Gobelsburg Cistercien Rosé and a Schlossgut Diel Pinot Noir Rosé de Diel.

To each his own. Thankfully there is room for crisp rosé and “scrisp” (a great new word!) whites. I can’t think of a better combination with soup au pistou than a good rosé. Other combinations come to mind as well.

Sorry for the typo “scrisp” … but if you like it you can still use it … [snort.gif]

Otherwise fully agree, to each his own.

I live in South Florida where it’s been rose season for 2 months by now. Nothing quite like a nice glass of rose while sitting on the patio or by the pool. An ice cold beer does the trick too [thumbs-up.gif]

I certainly learned to appreciate Rose over the six summers I was in Southern Louisiana. Interested to see how much I consume here in the UK since “summer” over here is a slightly different beast.

Drinking this right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

had a Portugese rose with caulifower pizza tonight…works for me in this weather, mid 80’s and humid

Colorado peeps, try the rose’ of Cabernet from Colterris, 2017 Grand Valley. Good fruit, minerals, crisp, local, worthy.

For Provencale style but with a little more character and stuffing try Bandol.

I concur.

[quoteI wouldn’t argue with you as a general point about reaching for a white before a rose. But sometimes in the heat of the summer I like reaching for a rose, especially with a group at the beach or out on the deck. Just festive and fun and crowd-pleasing. From your general neck of the woods I enjoy a Gobelsburg Cistercien Rosé and a Schlossgut Diel Pinot Noir Rosé de Diel.][/quote] I will drink a Kabinett before any Rose wine. More refreshing for the most part and better quality.

I don’t believe I’ve had a white wine I consider “refreshing” on a hot day. When I drink white wine, it’s because the food I’m eating calls for it. I reach for rosé when the weather calls for it. That said, my rosé palate is pretty specific (Bandol, preferably Domaine Tempier). If the rosé on offer is ruby red, then I’m probably going to go with a beer.

[quoteI don’t believe I’ve had a white wine I consider “refreshing” on a hot day. When I drink white wine, it’s because the food I’m eating calls for it. I reach for rosé when the weather calls for it. That said, my rosé palate is pretty specific (Bandol, preferably Domaine Tempier). If the rosé on offer is ruby red, then I’m probably going to go with a beer.][/quote] Try Dr. Loosen Dr. L Riesling. Under $10 in MN.

Txakolina, Albarino…

I tend to like the Chinon Rose’s-Baudry in particular is excellent. But my go to Provencal Rose is Château de Peyrassol “Commanderie” Côtes de Provence Rosé…not to expensive and quaffable -perfect for summer, about $20

I would add Muscadet to that list. But I prefer rose in really warm weather and drink it probably 5:1 to whites in the summer months.

Am probably 2:1 Rose over whites during the Summer but do enjoy Albarino, Muscadet and Santorini when the weather is hot.

I will drink a Kabinett before any Rose wine. More refreshing for the most part and better quality.
[/quote]

We open tons of Kabinett, because it is my wife’s favorite beverage. That said, I don’t calculate it against opening a rose or three. I also don’t consider it significantly different in the refreshing category - whatever than means to each of us - to any degree which would make me specifically choose it for that reason and not consider a rose, which I do enjoy. I like certain roses and find them fun and enjoyable, so that’s what I think about when opening them, not necessarily “I could do better”. To each his own!