2000 Leoville Barton and 2001 Lewelling Wight

Dinner with friends at BYO, wines just disappointed across the board. Both stored in good passive cellars since release, both PNP. The Leoville came out of a cellar that has let loose some great ones of late, e.g., 1990 Angelus. This Leoville was just tired. We worked it, discussed it and agreed that it is not asleep, but more likely tired out for whatever reason. No great wines, just great bottles, and the reverse also? Even so, the Leoville was better than the sickly sweet, dense, almost port-like Lewelling. I found it pretty much undrinkable, similar result as I have had with this wine, aged, before.

The 2000 Leoville Barton was easily the most disappointing wine of the vintage. It seems to me that the price increase on this wine is much les than others of the vintage meaning that a lot of people seem to think the same.

That’s too bad about the Leoville. I found it stunning the one time I had it (in 2011), and felt it could go the distance.

I will happily take bottles off folks’ hands if they don’t want them.

I had a bottle of that 2001 ‘Wight’ at about age ten and found it to be pretty good, but not great. We drank it at high altitude and I wonder if that had something to do with its slightly underwhelming showing.

Stunning, and surprising. I have some, but have not had the courage to pop one.

I’m very surprised at the Leo B result too. FWIW, it is not entirely consistent with the CT results for the wine. A 19 year old Leo B from that vintage should (based on rep) either be entering its prime or still waking up. Tired? Very surprising indeed.

Corks have some variation too. By age 20 one can get quite different experiences with the same bottles from the same case, even if they were all stored properly. I wish we had more consistent adoption of modern closures.

It’s sad/strange that its mostly the lower end bottles which have consistent seals. Last nights Coteaux du Vendomois had some synthetic cork, which seemed functional although hard to extract. Of course the wine was disappointing, and was turned into the base for a kir…

Who was the importer?

A stupid question perhaps, but does waxing the top help or hurt? Does it help seal against leaks and too much air infiltration from a poor cork or corkseal? I’ve often wondered. I buy some wines that use wax, like Roilette Griffe du Marquis, Foillard 3.14, Dunn, Plouzeau Franc de Pied, etc.

Jim,

What’s your annual budget for wine and what is your comfort with upper price limits?

Jim,

What’s your annual budget for wine and what is your comfort with upper price limits?

Hmm not my experience with 2000 LB, which I found to be a great value at $550/case. But then I actually traded 8 of them to friends for 4 each of the ducru and las cases and then traded one each of the bordeaux for three bottles of 1999 roumier amoureuses. So all in all the LB was a good buy for me. :grin:

Haven’t had it in the last year, but 2000 Barton has been excellent whenever I have had it.

Odd.

Counter datapoint: we had the 2000 LB last night, also, without any advanced prep. The nose was fantastic. The body was full and velvety. On the palate, the flavors were reserved but fine and classically Médoc. This was 7 days after having the 1990, which held its own at a dinner that included Haut Brion, Lafite & Latour of the same vintage. The 2000 drank considerably younger than the 10 year spread between the two. Terrific wine still quite young even though the tannins are mostly resolved.

Wm Grant & Sons. Does that mean anything re: shipping, provenance etc?

I don’t think I will answer that. Sorry. I will say, Barton is and has been squarely in my wheelhouse for a long time, and I had an absolute unbreakable ceiling of $100 a bottle until about 3 years ago. I think a good bottle of wine should cost $30, but good luck to me anymore.

To all the comments about it weird that the LB did not show well, I agree- weird and unexpected. I would have to guess it was that bottle. I have 1 bottle left myself from the same case(s), and wondering what to do with it. Probably hold for a while and think about a decant before drinking.

Jim,

My mistake…I thought I was typing in another post…the problems with exhaustion and multiple windows. My apologies…

No worries. champagne.gif

I don’t know. I think the wax seals on top or around the cork are (IMO) just a marketing shtick. Look at Makers Mark or Belle Glos’s various pinots.

We probably are all frustrated by this, but there’s going to be some natural/normal amount of variation in any naturally sealed bottle after 20 years of aging and divergence.

And that’s even before those pesky root days!

Sounds oxidised. White wine and in particular white Burgundy cops all the flack. There are a lot of red wines that are oxidised too!