What do you know about Genodics?

I posted on this in another thread, but I thought I’d flag the question via its own thread.

On Jeff Leve’s website, he says:

Chateau Talbot has also begun experimenting with the Genodics system in their Medoc vineyards. The Genodics system emits various sounds and frequencies to enhance or curtail the growth of proteins in the vines.

[scratch.gif]

Sounds very weird. Anyone heard of it before?

Is this like blasting heavy metal 24 hours a day at Manuel Noriega – it will make the vine surrender to your wishes?

It’s Genodics, not Gendonics.

It’s probably BS. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299343111_Do_tomatoes_love_music_Genodics_and_proteodies

Fixed the name.

Not the same as the heavy metal John.

That was designed to irritate a sentient being. Plants are not sentient.

This genodics thing works at the molecular level. It’s very specific and very powerful.

You have to very carefully match the melodies to the proper amino acids. I would imagine that there are only a few people in the entire world with the skills to use this.

If Talbot is really going to be doing this, I have to think it’s for the American market. You can just hear one cynical Frenchman talking to another.

“What’s that?”

“It’s a new con-job for the Americans. They’ll believe anything. All you have to do is challenge science and say ‘there’s a lot we don’t know’.”

“That’s for sure. It worked with biodynamics. How much do you think you’ll be able to increase your prices with this load of crap story?”

“Hard to tell, but we’re hoping for thirty percent.”

This is what the clowns say:

“By using series of harmonized sounds, directly tuned to amino-acids, the sequences of which compose proteins, it is possible to stimulate or inhibit, upon the agreement of the subject concerned, the synthesis of any type of protein, at cellular level and in a specific way. These biology specific sequences of natural sound waves named “proteodies” (protein melodies) thus make it possible to control, where necessary, the biological processes in which proteins are involved. Genodics is an R&D company developing applications of this process as efficient solutions to stimulate metabolisms of plants, animals and humans, and their natural resistances to pathogens such as viruses, bacteria and fungus, or to drought, heat or cold, with specific sound waves, thus reducing chemical use and pollution, while improving product quality and sustainability. This new and non-invasive approach of the living is already used in agriculture (viticulture, gardening and breeding). Other applications are under development for fish and shell farming, animal health, to improve fermentation processes in the agro-alimentary sector or in waste treatment, or to produce biofuels. Tests are under preparation for human health.”

Of course, in the world where this works, logic doesn’t, so you won’t find any science on this.

Here’s another view on the concept of melody and plant growth:

“But one author, Joël Sternheimer, has tried to make these claims look scientific by referring to them as part of what he calls “genodics.” Sternheimer not only claims that music aids in plant growth but that he has found a theoretical basis for the phenomenon. What’s more, he claims he has unlocked specific melodies—which he calls “proteodies”—that will help tomatoes grow, keep them healthy in spite of diseases, and give them the ability to safely weather periods of drought.”

This guy has a great article. I didn’t want to copy the whole thing, but if you’re interested, you can find it at ResearchGate:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299343111_Do_tomatoes_love_music_Genodics_and_proteodies

Here’s my prediction:

Someone will say that whether or not it works, the fact that a vineyard manager cares so much about his vines that he’s playing music to them will result in better grapes and finer wine.

That’s gold, Jerry, gold!

It was probably the Talbot vineyard manager’s kid’s science project.

To be serious, could it actually do something? I have no idea, maybe so. But given that these same folks rely on the lunar calendar to decide when to rack their wine, I kind of doubt it.

To be serious, could it actually do something? I have no idea, maybe so.

Alan - you’re a scientist and you’re kinder than I.

That’s why you’re a better man.

I just dismiss these poor brain-dead amoebae.

Are you sure about that?

There’s lots more floating around on that subject. [snort.gif]

“Oh, baby, they’re playing our protein melodies!”

Without thinking about it much, it seems to me that audible frequencies are so far out of scale with proteins (many orders of magnitude) that the concept is laughable.

Almost like the biodynamic arguments. Love the kids’ science project idea. Could be.

It should be obvious that this will only work if the music is applied in homeopathic doses.

[whistle.gif]

I can’t think of any other way this would get the go-ahead.

There is no simple mechanism that I’m aware of that would couple audible sound energy into plant biochemistry, so my first reaction is to say “ridiculous”. But, I’m not a biologist, and the complexities of what happens with plants in a vineyard are such that I feel compelled to leave the door open a tiny crack.

Having said that, my guess is that tens of thousands of junior high science experiments have been done on this subject. You’d think if there was something there those jr high kids would have discovered it :wink:

There’s one born a lot more often than every minute.

Dan Kravitz

Water has memory and vines have taste in music. I always figured Cabernet Sauvignon would be into Phish…