TN: 2016 Lilian Ladouys

My wife and I were contemplating going big (had a 1996 Corison Kronos pulled from the cellar) or trying something from the 2016 Bordeaux vintage.

We decanted this Merlot-predominant st estephe for about an hour. The wine was a deep dark ruby color with violet rim. The nose was interesting with a savory/meaty note on the first whiff, but this then gave way to more dark fruit notes. It did not taste particularly over oaked, and while the tannins were noticeable they were not overly drying and well balanced. It definitely paired well with the ribeyes we grilled for dinner.

This was my first stab at tasting a 2016, but I was surprised at how approachable this wine was already, and I wonder about its longevity; it hasn’t appeared to have reached any sort of “shut down” phase.

Thank you for your note.

[cheers.gif] . It is a good wine.

With the somewhat disheartening selection yesterday at Total near my new COVID home-away-from-home, I was tempted by this. Will give it a go next time.

Young Bordeaux is often accessible. They often close down after some time in bottle and then it is better to wait 10 years before opening another bottle. This is a general rule. Drink Bordeaux young or old and let the sleep between.

I can’t wait for your note on this!