Figeac 1998, Leoville Poyferre 1990, Pascal Cotat Mont Damnees 2008

The Cotat was a lovely wine, my wife’s favorite. Easygoing, complex, totally balanced, long finish. Delicious. 93

The Figeac was young, very young, and the fruit primary, just experiencing the first turn of complexity. Incredible potential, but currently still a decade plus away from greatness. Not so the Leoville, totally ready and a fabulous mix of fruit, spice and as Dale said, a ferric nuance which added a whole new dimension. Massive finish. A gorgeous Bordeaux. Dale and I split as to which would end up the better wine, Dale opted for the Figeac.

96+for Figeac, 98 Poyferre.

I’m confused, is the LP a 1998 or a 98-rating, or both?

Thanks for the reference point on that Figeac. I happen to have some coming… :wink:

Sorry; fixed.

Robert you are not worthy of any Figeac 1998. I look on it as a chance to become a better person, and then, you may just be thought worthy, but it will take some serious improvement.

I still have a few of the LP. They have barely hit maturity plateau.

This one was for me at that perfect juncture of fruit and tertiary. Structure perfectly mature. No hurry to drink, but if you like this stage, would not hesitate to go for it.

Love that ‘98 Figeac, one of the two vintages of Figeac I bought.

Really fun evening, Mark opened great wines. I thought the Cotat was long and lovely. The Figeac was enjoyable now, and I think spectacular in future. The Poyferre was already spectacular. Thanks Mark.

You don’t like LLC but you love Leoville Poyferre??? [scratch.gif]

For the most part I am not a fan of modern Poyferre. Rolland arrived in 1994, and although he has less effect on Cabernets, there is still a plushness to Poyferre that I am not a great fan of.

Las Cases is hit and miss. Love the 1985, 1996 and 2005. The 2009, and 2010 were excellent. When I don’t like, it’s because the extraction gives it a bitterness that is not pleasant.

I concur on the '90 LP – one of the best bordeaux I’ve ever had.

Thought-worthy?

Ha, from quoting Figeacus on Bordeaux, to Pepys on “Ho Bryan,” to writing tasting notes in Gangsta-rap, I am not only worthy, but entitled. Like landed gentry. Only cooler.

I hate to break this to you but notes written in Gangsta rap or quoting other worthies still does not entitle you to Figeac. Written notes MUST be written in Klingon to qualify.