TN: May 2019 visit to Vajra

A group of nebbiolo lovers returned to Vergne to visit Vajra. Isidoro hosted us and Aldo dropped by for a quick hello. It is a good day when you get to see Isi’s smiling face. The Vajra’s are delightful family and I am so happy to see them continue to shine and grow. This could not happen to a nicer family.

So here goes:

[*]2018 G.D. Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo Claré J.C. - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

Deep rose color with a little petillance. Fresh and clean, with cherry fruits, violets, good acidity. Serve a little cold for picnic. Enjoyable for the table/ picnic. Crunchy fruit. Very interesting and good, and would be great BTG at a wine bar on a lazy afternoon

[*]2017 G.D. Vajra Dolcetto d’Alba Coste & Fossati - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d’Alba (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

Ripe plum and some spice for dolcetto, with violets. Fleshy for dolcetto. Plump and grapey. Still tannic. A full bodied rendition of dolcetto

[*]2016 G.D. Vajra Barbera d’Alba Superiore - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba Superiore (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

A perfumed and deep nose. This is a dark fruited barbera but with freshness and violet florals. Some grape sweet tart. Good acidity cooler fruit. Full bodied and carrying it well

[*]2015 G.D. Vajra Langhe Freisa Kyè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (5/21/2019)
With Isidoro

Dark fruit, tar, violets, and back licorice on the nose. Sappy and dense and pretty refined for freisa. Structured, dark fruited, and tarry and simultaneously floral. Excellent freisa. Little freisa coarse tannins on back end.[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

[*]2017 G.D. Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

Floral with fresh nebbiolo fruit. Violets and a little sweet tart to the fruit. Linear, steely, and clean with good acidity balance and freshness. Firm tannins for langhe nebbiolo. Very good

[*]2015 G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

Darker nebbiolo tones with violets, and the fruit cherry bordering on plum. There is a little heat on the nose. Supple, yet structured and broad on the palate, but blurred around the edges. Four square. Little coarse tannins on back end. This may be me, so take this with my full admission that I have not ever loved this particular bottling from a house whose wines I really enjoy. (88 pts.)

[*]2015 G.D. Vajra Barolo Coste di Rose - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/24/2019)
With Isidoro

Balsam and violets on the nose. It is deeper fruited, with tar, licorice, a little austere and dark, but with good density and structure. Acidity and tannins balanced. A little stern. Very good but not much more (88 pts.)

A cooler nose with violets, tar, darker nebbiolo fruit. Structured and sappy with density and outstanding balance. Subtly powerful and vertical. It is compact, but I think there is a lot here inside that will shine in time. Firm tannins on back end. Very well balanced if turned inward some right now. One built for the cellar. (94 pts.)

Beautifully floral with roses and tar. This has sap and breadth, with terrific palate presence without any heaviness. Perfumed and rich but not fat, all with freshness and lift. Power without weight. A harmonious, terrific Barolo. Finishes very long with balsamic notes on the back end. (95 pts.)

Ripe and red fruited, with rose and balsamic notes. Ripe and a little broader, than the previous Baroli. Sappy and expansive, but it lacks a little lift and freshness to make it complete for me. TM liked the swine, so I may be underestimating it. (93 pts.)

Darker nebbiolo fruit, balsam, tar, dark cherry on the nose. This has better lift than the Baudana cru this year. Structured and vertical. The fruit and balsam of the nose is complemented with savory, ferrous, herbal, and cured meat notes. Great balance of power and freshness. Terrific structured, complicated, and harmonious wine. This needs cellar time. (96 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Bright and fresh. Aromatic fresh squeezed grape juice. The RS is for me a touch too much but bright acidity carries it. A very cold glass on a hot day would work.

This was great to see Isi and Aldo again. I have really enjoyed watching the younger generation here take up their family tradition, build upon something already worthy of praise and continue to grow. Not to get too sappy here, but spending time with the Vajra’s make me happy. I love to see them filling the shoes of their parents and growing into great representatives of the region. I also hope that my children grow up to be half as kind and hard working as them. Well done!

Todd. Couldn’t agree more. We visited last October (group included the Favre’s and Nellan’s), and loved the wines, the family, and the overall tradition. We also bought about 30 cases collectively when we returned.

Sounds like a terrific visit and hope to taste here perhaps next year. Our trip last year we did not make it up to the Langhe so on the list for the future. Nice to see the note on the 15 Ravera. Just picked up some along with 16 Albe. The base Nebb is a terrific wine for the $

They are such great people. We tasted with Isidoro on our visit and it was so memorable.