Dumbest wine related thing you have done ?

Last night when arriving home basically trashed i thought a nightcap of Champagne was a good idea. I placed a 2008 Agrapart in the freezer to chill for a few minutes, promptly then passed out until this morning my lovely bubbly having exploded in the freezer sending glass everywhere with a nice coating of vintage bubbly slurpie !!!

Whats the dumbest thing youve done ?

well, I’ve done this ^^ (without the passing out part, but forgetting I had done it) so I suppose . . . that!

I have also blown up the bottles, though not due to drunken jackassery but to… drunken jackassery. But hey, it wasn’t Agrapart. So there’s that.

Small fry my friends, small fry. How about standing next to Marius Gentaz on the point of retirement, who tells me he has some wine to sell. I have a prearranged game of golf, and I am already late. I pass…:sob:

[winner.gif]

Close the thread!

Joined the Tobin James wine club.

Rectified that a few months later.

Traded Chave Hermitage for SQN.

Not buying 1990 Bordeaux and 1990 DRC when they were first available for sale.

Ed

I bought some of the fancy Chapoutier cuvees at peak pricing in the mid-late 90s.

I have also had that moment in the cellar of an acquaintance pulling the bottle for dinner. A 1978 La Chapelle I would have really, really liked to drink. He dropped it (his last bottle). Apparently, the cellar smelled great for months…

Couple come to mind, not buying a DRC mixed case years ago.

Probably the dumbest was deciding to make a barrel of Mouvedre in WA after trying quite a few from Spain that were from 70 to 100 year old vines, this was 5th or 6th leaf. Then putting it in a new American oak barrel, like somehow it would turn out like an old vine Jumilla Monastrell…what came out instead was a white pepper bomb that couldn’t even be blended away, just tossed. Idiot.

Garagiste.

That hurts!

Alan, we got a brand new camper. Went on our first trip. Put a bottle of rosé Champagne in freezer for quick chill. Got sidetracked. It blew up and got into every crease and corner in the freezer.

Indeed. I traded SQN for Bonneau Celestins.

Spirit of thread is not things that you wish you had done, such as buy DRC when it was cheap.

Its dumb things you actually did, like put bubbly in freezer or new camper !!

Well I have blown up the bubbly in the freezer, but the dumbest thing was several years ago, getting talked into buying an 82 Margaux at a Tokyo restaurant after we had already had too much wine and whisky. Can’t tell you what it tasted like, but I can tell you what I paid for it…

Cant beat drunk dumbness

My credit card shudders just thinking about that one.

Yes, though the SQN was a ticket to a few really interesting offline dinners, one of which had not one but two bottles of older Chave. Dulled the pain a bit.

Looking at those funny old-school labels of 1970’s and 80’s Barolo and deciding to buy DeGrazia’s imports instead. pileon