TNs: Two 1990 Bordeaux

Today is my oldest daughter’s birthday, so I decided to open a couple birth year wines. I have enjoyed the '90 Angelus multiple times over the years, usually side-by-side with the '89, so I was surprised to see how much more I preferred the overall balance of the La Conseillante today.

• 1990 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (7/5/2019)
    That cedar/sandalwood note is even more pronounced here than on the La Conseillante, with blackberry fruit in the background.

Seamless on the palate, but not as lively as the first wine. I liked this wine better when it was younger - this has a little less acidity, and as the wine has aged, the ripeness of the fruit has been emphasized.

• 1990 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (7/5/2019)
    Lovely, mature Bordeaux - blackberry, plum and some cedar on the nose.

Adequate acidity still provides lift for the fruit, with great persistence on a finish I am still tasting as I type this. Delicious!

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for note Bob, so many great 89/90 combos out there…L’Angelus, Pichon Baron, Lynch Bages, and Gruaud Larose from what I have tasted. Haven’t done Conseillante duo.

What, she doesn’t like Barolo? [wink.gif]

Great birth year wines to have!

Nice combo!

1 Like

Brad, she does drink Barolo - I brought a couple 90’s to an Italian restaurant last time we got together, but this time we were eating French, so I wanted the wines to follow the theme. We ended up finishing the night with a '90 Rieussec that was drinking great [cheers.gif]

Bob, thanks for these notes. A reminder of two wines I enjoyed immensely but could not keep my hands off, so no more. Our daughter’s an 89er, and I can attest to Kris’ praise of the 89/90 duet, adding Conseillante and Yquem to his list.

Very useful side-by-side, Bob! I’m an '82 so birthyear side-by-sides have been the highlights of my family wine nights with my well-planning father…

Intriguing thoughts on the Angelus. I have not had that wine, so very valuable to see your comments on tasting evolution and thoughts on current lushness. Not at all surprised at the Conseillante being brilliant… the '89 I had last year was on song, for sure.

Not possible in the Hughes’ household. Inconceivable.

RT