TN: Couple Bedrocks, 2017 Papera Ranch, 2017 Bien Nacido X Block Syrah

Had some friends over for dinner who enjoy wine but don’t know specific producers. They mentioned hearing a “lot of good buzz” on Bedrock. Perfect opportunity to open a couple and show them what that buzz is all about. Rather than get bottles with some age, I took the lazy way and grabbed a couple of 2017’s staring at me in front of the wine fridge :slight_smile:. Sometimes you get lucky and both bottles were open and very enjoyable. Young, absolutely but young in the sense of delicious primary flavors, all in balance not harsh in any way. With some ribs and tri tip:

2017 Papera Ranch Heritage Wine: I remember this wine from the pick up day when it showed beautiful red fruits. It has not changed, a melange of red fruits, cherry, raspberry, cranberry with earth, Asian spice and black pepper. Wine has good acidity plus a nice savory note. Aromatics are strong. Drinking very well I find Bedrock Papera is similar to Dollinsek in that it often drinks well early. The blend is mostly Zinfandel followed by a good dose of Carignan which I think gives this that “lift” and red fruit dominance. Open this now with a decant or age for several years, its all good :slight_smile:. 14.5 ABV. One of my favorite Papera vintages!

2017 Bien Nacido Vineyards X Block Syrah: Another wine we tasted at a pick up but had not purchased. After tasting I changed that by quickly purchasing a few bottles. This wine is a mix of red and black fruit, olive, herbs and violet notes. It has lots of acid and tannin structure but in perfect balance with the fruit. You will not confuse this wine with Bedrock Hudson or Griffins Lair which is exactly what makes it unique. Nice to have both styles of syrah but I find the 2017 Bien Nacido especially good. It drinks well now but has a lot in reserve for the future. 12.4 ABV. My hats off to Morgan for making this wine.

2017 Papera Ranch Heritage Wine
IMG_20190604_183915.jpg
2017 Bien Nacido Vineyards X Block Syrah
IMG_20190515_180508.jpg