7.1 Richter -> Ridgecrest, CA: How did your cellar fare?

It looks like there are a lot of fires near the epicenter - broken gas mains & downed power lines?
grocery-store.jpg

I feel for those affected. Stay safe

An artist friend of mine is sculpting (he lives in Big Sur) in a ghost town called Darwin, which lies on the western portion of the Great Basin near Death Valley, about 50 miles from the epicenter. He said he got a “good shake” last night but no serious damage.

I hope everyone is safe. I had a bit of a surreal experience, at a hotel in Oxnard, room starts shaking, while I’m watching NBA summer league game in Vegas, and they stop play because the arena is shaking. So I’m watching an earthquake live, while I’m living through the same earthquake. Weird.

This is a wine board, so I was drinking 2014 Justin Isocleles. Nice balance, just entering the drinking window, a little hot and oaky for me, but some nice fruit, and good earthiness from the franc.

Eastridge Market in Ridgecrest
eastridge-market.jpg
I would have expected much worse from a 7.1.

Felt strong tremors in Las Vegas. Immediately went into the cellar. A few bottles shifted an inch or so, but no damage.

If he lives in one of those subterranean houses there I’d be worried about the walls crumbling! But yes, good to hear he’s okay. Ridgecrest is on the southern border of China Lake NWS; Darwin is on the northern border.

yeah, that looks amazingly unharmed for that size quake. Not that it’s not damage, but I’m surprised how much came through untouched. I’m walking around my house today looking at what we can change to minimize inevitable quake damage when it happens. Remembering I need to place a wrench in handy position to turn off the gas, if I’m at home that is…

Paul, he owns Darwin Station and some adjoining above ground buildings on the corner of Market and Main. I’ll be having lunch with him in a couple of weeks upon his return to Big Sur. I’m anxious to hear how the rest of the town fared.

Mike, that’s “downtown” Darwin if you haven’t been there. Better above ground than below!

As Eric mentioned, strong tremors in Las Vegas…but all of my wine is locked up in Chicago! Haven’t heard anything good/bad from any of the big retailers around town.