Milbrandt Washington State Good QPR?

I just got a local email for their lineup for $8.99 a bottle which seems solid. Are these good every day drinkers? We were going to stop at their tasting room on the way to Walla Walla but they were closed and ended up at Airfield instead.

Butch and his family are one of the largest vineyard owners in WA, including some of the best exposures in the State of Washington including Evergreen, an unbelievable white site that has over half the Ancient Lakes AVA.

But what kris doesn’t do is answer your question…

Is Coors worth $6.99 per six pack?

You have your answer…

Funny Jason.

I’m sure they’re fine folks. And having tried it, that 8.99 wine is priced about right.

I think their whites are better than their reds. So, yes, I think the Milbrandt basic whites (the Pinot Gris and Chardonnay) are good daily drinkers. I don’t think the reds are. I’ve had the Estates Chardonnay which comes from, like Kris pointed out, the best (in my opinion) site for Chardonnay in the state (and Celilo Vyd.). I didn’t think it was worth the tariff because they didn’t allow Evergreen to come through enough.

I just picked up a mixed six pack so will try them and see.

That is an expensive six pack of Coors. I can get decant IPAs for $7.99 a six pack.

Not here in the NW, a decent IPA is around $10 for a 6er and about $15 for a 4pk that’s worth drinking.

Yeah, haven’t had one in a long time, they definitely have access to the material, so it thought that relevant to forming an opinion vs. the traditional WA own zero vineyards model.

I’ve found the Riesling to be a good value but the merlot I bought from Full Pull was clumsy and overdone.

2017 Milbrandt Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Wahluke Slope (7/17/2019)
Day 1: Corkscrews nice descriptors on this wine. Bing cherries, plums, smoke, dark chocolate and cinnamon. Medium finish and concentrated wine. Just the slightest hint at some heat which should blow off over the course of the tasting of this wine. Certainly an outstanding value for $9.99. (88 points)

Kris Patten wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 am
Butch and his family are one of the largest vineyard owners in WA, including some of the best exposures in the State of Washington including Evergreen, an unbelievable white site that has over half the Ancient Lakes AVA.

But what kris doesn’t do is answer your question…

You have your answer…

The Cabernet was not in the Coors category. I am thinking Sam Adams Boston Lager! champagne.gif

2018 Milbrandt Vineyards Rosé - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (7/17/2019)
Day 1: Glad I got 3 of these. I have been off the Rose radar as too many mediocre ones that cost over $15. $9.90 on this one. Watermelon, peach, spice, minerals and wafer. Nice complexity and refreshing. The perfect wine for the Minneapolis heat and humidity. (89 points)
Sorry but this is even better. I am thinking local Surly Quality on this one.

[quoteBut what kris doesn’t do is answer your question…

You have your answer…][/quote]
When was the last time you tried these wines? These are outstanding for the price.

Nice, John! Glad they’re hitting your wheelhouse. I’ll have to try the Rose.

2017 Milbrandt Vineyards Merlot Traditions - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (7/19/2019)
Day 1: Not even close to the quality of the Cabernet. Vegetal, spice, skins of cherries/plums and sweet chocolate. While this is drinkable it certainly fits the under $10 category. I would not recommend this wine on day 1. 83 points (83 points)

Merlot is not very good and tastes cheap. Amazed that the Rose is the wine I like best in the lineup. Will try the Chardonnay this weekend.

2017 Milbrandt Vineyards Chardonnay - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (7/19/2019)
Day 1: Solid Chardonnay. Better than half of the Chardonnay wines I tasted on my Walla Walla/Washington State Trip. Apple, spice, oak, Carmel and baked pie crust. Medium plus finish and quite complex for an inexpensive wine. For under $10 a steal. 89 points (89 points)

I don’t remember ever having had a red, but I’ve had several vintages of the Chardonnay and it’s a good, pleasant version at a price that makes it an excellent value. I didn’t realize that they were a big producer, but I’ve learned something. With those vineyard holdings, the potential is there.

Have any board members tried any of their higher-level bottlings? I’d certainly give their more upscale Chardonnay a try if I run across it. I’ve mostly found the Chardonnay at restaurants by the glass.

Dan Kravitz

I found the Rose to be solid as well. It exceeded my expectation with nice dry fruit and acidity. And for some reason, I only bought one. I bought 2 each of the Chardonnay and Cabernet.

Joe Chardonnay worth the money. Cab drink on day 1. Actually drinking one right now.