Buying Burgundy in Texas

A newbie looking for some help here…

As you saw in the title, I live in Texas and Burgundy is generally hard to find (especially for the mid-range).

Lately, I have been purchasing Burgundy through Benchmark wines and they have been wonderful to work through. However, I am hoping to find it “more direct”. Is that even possible?

If you’re in Austin, the Austin Wine Merchant.

Burgundy is dead at retail

Bill, I have honestly had a hard time finding Burgundy readily available in most local Texas shops. I almost exclusively buy out of state. But, that brings its own problems. For local purchases, I find some generally available entry level Chablis and things like that are safe. When you move beyond that, you generally have a VERY limited selection.

Make sure the shoppe is air conditioned!

Also not sure of your location but the Austin Wine Merchant is excellent.

Which city are you based in? That makes a difference. My wife is from TX and we spend some of the year here so I may be able to help you with some contacts.

Since I’m not sure what method you are using to buy from them you might want to remove the retailer name from this post. If you are just picking them up in person there is no problem but if they are shipping to you they can get in trouble and stop shipping.

Good point but it’s done all legally here.

I am based in HTX but I travel a good amount throughout TX, OK, LA, CO and NM.

I am in DFW and usually get everything online

Then please ignore my post. Generally good advice in any event :slight_smile:

Not if it’s being shipped to you in TX …

Ryan Tedder at Pogo’s in Dallas can assist with Burgundy buys. They have a decent spread of mid-range burgs, white and red, and probably the most knowledgeable staff at any retail shop in the DFW metroplex. Really good wine store.

I find their advertised prices beyond ridiculous. I’ve been told you can get lower prices if you’re a “regular” (whatever that means), but they’re so off the charts, I haven’t even tried.