TN: larding the larder

Selbach-Oster, Zeltinger Schlossberg, ‘Schmitt’, 2010
No pradikat level, but this is really a fine auslese in disguise. Pineapple and gentian nose with a whiff of euculypt. Spicy botrytis and smokey roasted pineapple and kumquat. Zingy acidity keeps it all balanced. Superb. A/A- 8%

Travaglini, Gattinara, ‘Tre Vigne’, 2009
You could drink this now, you could drink this later, like the candy package says. Old school Italian liqueurish taste with red fruits and a rose-smelling nose. Tannins grip on the backside, but no harm in opening as it feels a little simple. B+/B

Brookenwood, Semillon, Hunter Valley, 2011
Grass and limes, fresh and acidic, just what every summer ‘barbie’ needs. A steal at $12.99. B+

Didier Fornerol, Cote du Nuits Villages, 2016
A new producer I’ve been following the past several years. Quite smooth already without the structure of the 2015 but just as lovely, with plums and black raspberry. Nice balance on a lighter frame, and quite fresh tasting. A-

Honorio Rubio, Rioja, ‘Lias Finas’, 2014
Despite the beautiful packaging (which made me want to like it more than I did), this rosado is merely ‘okay’. There’s straw and orange-skin, salinity and chalk, but it tastes a little hot despite the stated 13.5% alcohol. Terrible match with hamburger, better with Iberico ham. A bit one-dimensional. B+ [Viura 30%/Garnancha 70%]

Foradori, Teroldego, Vignetti delle Dolomiti IGT, ‘Sgarzon’, 2010
Soft dark plum compote with blackberry mush and blueberry…rather plain and simple. Waste of a heavy bottle on a boring wine, and somewhat expensive between $30-40. Probably would have been better earlier, but with the few examples of aged teroldego I’ve had over the years, not convinced this is a variety that performs well with age. B/B+ 13%

Giuseppe Mascarello, Barolo, ‘Monprivato’, 2005
Pale, light color. A little stern upon opening, but reveals red cherry candy along with strawberry and candied orange flower petals. Fairly light, which I assume is vintage related, but still possesses grippy tannins in the back. B+/A-

FX Pichler, Gruner Veltliner-smaragd, Loibner Berg, 2005
A pretty sunflower yellow color! Nose of seeds and nuts, perhaps flax? Savory with a piquant finish, green peppercorns and quince skins. Interesting, with enough acidity to keep fresh. 13.5% A-