The stunning beauty of Beaujolais

Like any wine geek, I’ve certainly enjoyed many fine Cru Bojos over the years, but I’ve never visited the area nor ever made it an area of study like I have with many of its more illustrious brethren which grow my absolute favorite wines. Well, I’m watching today’s stage of the Tour de France, which left from Macon, skirted some Puilly-Fuisse vineyards, and is “now” (as I watch on DVR) spending several dozen kilometers winding through Beaujolais. Wow! The whole area is simply stunning with rolling hills, green vineyards, of course, and magnificent chateaux throughout. If you have any interest in the geography of the region, I highly recommend putting down your World Atlas of Wine for a moment and finding a way to watch today’s stage (unfortunately there is no prime time replay tonight like there is most nights, due to a NASCAR event). Short of visiting, all of these road-level and aerial views of the region are the best way to gain an appreciation for the truly magnificent the beauty of the region. Breathtaking. Vive la France, and vive le Tour!

And it’s a great stage.

Better than great, both! I say killer. I love the country elegance of Beaujolais. So delicious, unpretentious, pairs so well with just about everything. I easily drink a bottle per week. And the stage today - wow, no spoilers - but definitely watch it. Lots of dynamics and sub-plots for all of the jersesies and the stage win itself.

Shit! eff NASCAR…

What Robert said. It’s a good area to bike through, almost as good as the Loire Valley but without the architecture. And the wines are great. Not as dramatic as some regions, but very friendly for the most part and there’s some pretty good country cooking that’s not all that hard to find as well.

I’ll be there in about a week for a too short stop on a whirlwind trip. Can’t wait to finally see these places I’ve seen on labels for years. Will report back.

If it’s so great, why are the wines so cheap? Huh? Huh?

Yup.

Loire is my place. Royal architecture. Bread basket of Paris. Phenomenal wines, both white and red. I could retire there.

So you could live in a place without alligators? You’re making me question everything I know.

It’s BYOA.

If you can’t do that, I’m sure there are some little lizards scurrying about.

You are so bourgeois, Alan. I would ship them in, of course.

He’d stock the moat with them.

79332FAA-2AF8-470D-9090-6E7317E23B2D.jpeg
Frankly, think bigger. The whole river.

By Job! Beaujolais is the Bobby Alfert of Wines!

I’m surprised no one has chimed in with an all too serious post about importing wildlife to the EU and possible legal troubles you may end up in.

Fleurie is one of the most charming towns. What a beautiful area all the way around.

French often say instead of honeymoon “going to the Beaujolais” …
Very nice region … I´ve been there several times, but unfortunately always for a very short time …

What would you pair with alligator in beurre blanc, Robert? I think for me it would have to be old Vatan…

Did you see Jayson’s note on the 2013 Vatan with its game note? Spot on, too.

I’m definitely popping a Beaujolais tonight! Did Bordeaux and a 93 Dunn Howell last night. I’m thinking a Lapierre Morgan Sans Soufre.

Great thread to celebrated an “un-celebrated” wine.

Beaujeois