TN: 2010 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese

2010 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/14/2019)

1. Mix strawberries, pineapple and lime zest.
  2. Dust with cinnamon
  3. Add a pinch of salt
  4. Connect electrical cables
  5. Turn on the power
  6. Drink

Posted from CellarTracker

Evocative note. Thanks David!

My wife’s word-for-word note: “That doesn’t suck!”

Drunk in june 2018 with my friend David Rayer, who edits “Mosel Fine Wines” :
Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese 1990 (AP 8/91) : 17/20
Really excellent (and your description also perfectly fits).

Best TN I’ve read this year!

Your wife’s is also succinctly excellent.

She doesn’t mince words.

+1

I like the 1-6 rating scale, simple and direct… but then all I care about are scores.

Cinnamon? Rest is killer.

The spice of the Wurzgarten.

I love the spice in a quality Riesling. I usually taste ginger or sometimes gingersnap, but cinnamon would be very welcome (although maybe the my “gingersnap” is ginger/cinnamon).

I have a couple of untasted 01’s. I always struggle with when to open Auslese and what to pair it with.

2001 Merkelbach wines are getting into a very nice spot.

I usually have success pairing Auslesen with parmesan, goat/Humboldt Fog, and/or bleu cheese, depending on how sweet it is.

I agree however, that I have a problem with knowing when to open them or being able to wait for them to mature. I’ve especially been having a problem with transferring the 2015 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese to the cellar because I find them so amazing right now.

So, a cheese platter is good. Salt and sugar. Ok.

I have heard Mexican Mole is good too. A local restaurant has excellent Mole so I will give it a try.

Also have a very sentimental bottle of 01 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese given to me by the late, great John Dawson. That will be a special day when it is opened.