TN: 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner White Oak Flats Vineyard

2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner White Oak Flats Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (7/16/2019)
I always associate the Skinner White Oak Flats with the Skinner Stony Creek, but the 2016s are wildly different wines. The White Oak Flats is a more delicate, nuanced wine, with less power, but more elegance. It’s fruit focused, but not simple. Tannins are light, and the balance rests more on acidity. The finish adds depth without heaviness. Whenever I try to focus on flavors I am pulled right back to texture.

Posted from CellarTracker

Drink now or hold you think? Always associate Hardy’s SVD’s with needing a bit more time.

I think either way is fine. The Stony Creek has more guts,so I may age that one.

Thanks!

Thanks for the note, David.

The magic and difference with the Skinner WOF is the clay in the soil. It is the only vineyard we work with Mourvèdre on that has a ton of clay (Santa Barbara Highlands had some clay, too)

Compared to our Skinner Stoney Creek, the WOF aromatics are more refined, the texture silkier and more seamless, and though lower and hotter, the vineyard usually gets 3 weeks more hangtime. WOF is pretty flat (hence the name) and not visually “impressive” but dang… I love the site. What is going to be very very exciting, is that the Skinners purchased and have begun planting the property next door which is a fairly steep slope side on similar soils. I can’t wait to see that fruit!

I think about WOF and Stoney Creek like I think about Foillard Morgon and Fleurie- WOF is more like Morgon, and the higher granitic slopes of Stoney Creek create a more Fleurie like expression- More wild in the nose with small but gritty tannin.