TN: Dr.Barolet Beaune '52...(short/boring)

Tried this last week w/ Ken:

1. Collection du Docteur Barolet AC: Beaune (11%-14%) Shipped by Francois Martenot/Savigny-les-Beaune; Imptd by CopelLtd/Algonquin/IL 1952: Cork relatively intact upon removal; deep murky/cloudy/brownish color; strong nose of decaying leaves/bit mousey/oxidized slight oak/cedary/pencilly; rather dried out/tired/astringent decayed leaves bit gritty flavor; long tired/dried out quite astringent gritty slight oak/cedary finish; pretty much a dead & gone historical relic. $12.49 (LM)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Dr.Barolet was a physician in Burgundy who made a lot of wine for himself, purchasing grapes. Mostly for his own drinking and gifts for friends. When he croaked in the early '70’s, he left this huge stash of wine behind w/ no heirs. It was purchased by a Swiss firm, labels were printed up & slapped on the btls. The btls had a lot of dust/grime on them from his original cellar. And they didn’t stick to the btls very well.
    The Swiss firm sold the collection for pretty reasonable prices. A large stash came to the USofA and were sold off by CopeLtd. Most of the stores who bought them tacked on huge markups, knowing their rarity would make them sell. PhilReich/ReneRondeau at LiquorMart/Boulder bought a large stash, but just took their usual 20% markup. So the wines were really reasonably priced in relation to other stores in the Nation. In fact, there were a number of Calif winemakers (so I’m told) that actually drove out to Boulder to purchase a bunch of the Barolets at much better prices for what they could get in Calif.
    They wines dated from the mid-'50’s clear back to the early '20’s. Both whites & reds. All village appelations, no vnyd designates that I can recall. When we tasted thru them in the mid-'70’s, they were all, by & large, in pretty good shape, including the whites. Good, but not great, examples of old/fully mature Burgs.
    I bought about a case of them, pretty much one of each, with a few xtras to hold. Ken (Shultis, my wine mentor…whose links take my wine lineage clear back to RichardFeynman) bought a few and this was the last of his stash. Alas, pretty much shot.
    A bit of a discussion here on WB:
    WB:DrBarolet

1. It always amuses me when I read in wine books written by certain “authorities” that when a wine gets old, it turns to vinegar and only suitable for use as salad dressing. The wine, definitely way old, was nowhere near vinegar. It would ruin any salad you dressed with it.
    Tom

Very good examples of these wines are transcendental. I had a 1934 bottling of a Chambolle that was earth shattering. Storage is everything here. These wines really can be great. Sorry yours was shot.

Thanks for this blast from the past, Tom!

I frequented the Liquor Mart back during those days on my trips to Colorado, and remember when they had those Barolet wines on offer (among many other hidden gems.). I purchased a couple of handfuls of them, based on my understanding of their history, and they rarely disappointed. The highlights for me were a couple of bottles of 1935 Bonnes Mares, and a couple of 1951 Chambolle Musigny which was the a brother’s birth year and also of a future friend. Both stunning wines and a rare experience for sure, even decades after I purchased them!

My recollection is that Phil went to the LA area and Rene to the Bay area. Did you keep in touch at all? Another of the local cognoscenti was Jack Vesey who I know retired in Colorado and I occasionally heard from when he was looking for specific wines for a tasting theme.

Oh, for those halcyon days!!

Phil went to SantaMonica And built the terrific wine list at Michael McCarty’s Michael’s restaurant. Don’t think he’s there anymore. I’ve tried to reach out to Phil several times with no success.
Rene moved to the Bay area and worked for awhile for JerryDraper at Draper&Esquin. He left the wine biz and now is world-reknowed for his expertise in a certain brand of wristwatch.
Jack Vesey is still in CO I believe with his huge collection of wines.
Those were great times in the ‘70’s at LM (and HarryHoffman’s). Met JoePhelps and MelvinMasters there.
Tom (trippin’ down memory lane)

52 was a very sturdy red Burg vintage, like 76. Must have been the storage since the few Barolet wines I’ve had were good.