TNs--various from 2 weeks...Huet, Rudius, Carlisle, Rivetti, 07 Graham's, Cullen Rose

2009 Huet Le Mont Moelleux

With fantastic Thai food at Thai Sa On in Calgary. Young, sure, but already drinking so well. Fresh and sweet all at the same time, there’s a definite thread of fresher apricot to go with some floral and citrus notes. Sneaky length. Glad I have 2 more.

2009 Rudius Cabernet

My best friend had this one stashed from when she bought it on my recommendation. I was very happy with this showing. Still plenty of heft and rich red fruit on nose and palate, but there’s definite harmony to the whole here. Jeff should rightly be proud of this bottling, which should easily last another 8-10 years. The oak has been very nicely integrated.

2016 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zin

What’s not to like? Delicious red and black plum and some sweeter blackberry, and there’s a hint of meats on the nose. Great with burgers and the filets we had from the BBQ, this holds its alcohol really well and is not at all over-sweet. Good depth, another winner here.

2000 Dante Rivetti Barbaresco Bricco Riserva

This was a surprise to me, though not in a bad way. The colour and aromatics all speak of a mature wine. That is echoed initially on the palate, where some very intriguing tertiary earth and cocoa tones have built themselves in. What was interesting is that 2 days later, it had actually gained liveliness and had much more red fruit in the palate component. The only thing I’m sure about is that I should go and get another bottle or two of this if I can.

2007 Graham’s VP

Opened for a cheese, chocolate, wine and beer/cider/mead grand tasting event. Of course it’s much too soon. I ordered a 12 hour decant. Toddlercide, could only get an inkling on that night. 3 days later, one can make an assessment. Very full purple fruit and lightly grapey notes in nuzzie. To taste, it is rich and sweet with fine grainy tannins to take you along for the ride. It’s too early to tell where the final resting place will be, but my thoughts are that the fruit will always be the dominant part of this wine. My next one will be left for at least 7 years if I can.

2017 Cullen Wilyabrup Dancing in the Moonlight Rose

Get this—Merlot, Malbec, CS and Petit Verdot (in descending percentages order). It makes, I’m afraid, for a clashy beast of a wine–it has character, sure, but the problem is that the character is schizophrenic. I left this as well for about a week and that impression didn’t change. Can’t recommend, and although I loved their stuff in the past, this is not the first relatively unhappy recent experience I’ve had with Cullen.

Haere Ra,

Mike

I’ve been meaning to respond to this post for a while but I’ve only just gotten around to it Mike. Sadly I’m not surprised when it comes to your experience with Cullen’s Rosé. And if I’m being honest your experience seems to be the norm when it comes to Margaret River Rosé. A couple years ago another winery down there took out quite a prestigious national award for their Cab Sauv and in the resulting excitement their Rosé started getting praise heaped on top of it from all sorts of the local wine press. The group I taste with had an upcoming Rosé tasting so I decided to throw this one into the mix.

It was abysmal. Borderline undrinkable. Funnily enough a winemaker from the region who also tastes with us occasionally also brought the exact same wine. Her’s was also terrible.

So I asked the uncomfortable question about why this wine was so highly lauded when I had to tip a tasting it was so objectionable. Obviously no one had a clear answer but our winemaking tasting mate mentioned that down in the Margaret River region people often make a Rosé when they f up a still red. Screwed up your Cab Sauv this year? NO WORRIES, we’ll make it into a Rosé!

I can’t speak to the veracity of that statement but anecdotally it did make sense. I’ve yet to taste a single Aussie made Rosé that was good enough to actually warrant a second glass, at least to my palate.

And as for Cullen specifically, ever since their product portfolio has exploded with heaps of different offerings their quality has taken a hit.

I definitely appreciate you weighing in with these thoughts, Andrew. Thank you very, very much for taking the time and effort to post 'em.

Mike