1990 Raffault "Les Picasses"

I have been fortunate enough to have had several bottles of this one over the years, and I have always enjoyed them. Last night’s version, though, at a favorite local restaurant – my last one (sniff) – took it to an entirely new level.

Don’t get me wrong. I am generally a fan of the funk, barnyard, rusticity and – yes – even herbaceousness of Loire cab franc. But one smell of the Raffault last night, poured into a generous burgundy glass with vigorous swirling, brought me back to a 1990 Cheval Blanc that a very generous friend brought to Craft about five years ago. The perfume was absolutely intoxicating – rasberry and meat and spice. The kind of nose where one doesn’t even want to drink it. But in the mouth the magic continues with a silky soft texture and just the right amount of acid holding it together nicely. The wine was certainly not too young, but neither did it taste old. In a perfect place IMHO.

Seriously, one of my favorite wines ever. I will be on the lookout for more. 97

Wow. Like you, have had a good run with a handful of these over the years and have really enjoyed them. This one, however, sounds outrageous! Wish I had more. Well done
Cheers!

Had a bottle of the '89 a couple of weeks ago that also lived up to its reputation. Amazingly young, still.

Wonderful note Kelly especially with my three laying flat. I so enjoyed Picasses and a few others that early on I just bought a variety of years of it and have accumulated ten vintages going back to 1977. The beauty is I am in no rush to drink these as they have such longevity.

WB enablement (lookin’ at you Alfert) prompted purchase of a six-pack of this wine. Popped my first one this evening.

• 1990 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/31/2019)
    Secondary market purchase in 2019. Black mold on top 1/4 of cork but lower 3/4 pristine, fill into neck. Medium ruby core, bricking at rim. Expressive nose of red fruits, leather, moist earth, tea, touch of funk but no bandaid or barnyard. If this has Brett it’s been well-stored and showing only hints of the good leathery version. Medium body, palate follows the nose, some aged complexity, good balance, still some furry tannins on the finish. I’d expect this to hold another 5 years at least if well stored. Excellent.

Haha, wonderful note. And funny, I almost pulled this wine tonight but went with a 1995 Sociando JG. My son is home for fall break. He grabbed some 20+ ounce bone-in ribeyes and grilled for us. I needed Cab!

Sadly drank my last bottle recently. Wonderful wine!

When these are on, they’re ON

Great stuff, Kelly - lucky you! I’ve only tasted this once, a long time ago - it was my first and still my best experience of Chinon. It’s impossible to find over here.

Thanks, Julian. Great news — recently scored two more from Chambers St. At about $70 per, an absurd bargain IMHO.

Ha, you beat me out. And I reached out to them pretty quickly on that recent of that email. The 89s were gone lickety-split.

It’s weird how Raffault favours the US market. Totally unfair!! There are never library releases over here!

Yes, I noticed. Though 89 is more heralded, 90 has been consistently better in my experience.

Nonetheless, I was hoping for some 89 to conduct another experiment…

Trade you one for a 95 JG (even harder to procure)? I was mighty jealous reading your recent review.

Thanks, Kelly! I’m gonna hold on to those JG 95s. Only have two left. That was the first year this so-called cuvée was made.

Finishing the 90 Picasses tonight. Even better than last night. Amazing for a wine pushing 30 years old.

I can’t even find current vintage Raffault in London.

There’s a long history now of availability in and cellar releases to NYC, which makes us a bit spoiled.

Normally it’s the other way round, so no complaints, but it is quite ironic! Even more recent vintages appear later on their site than elsewhere - the most recent available is the 2014. It’s certainly weird that London should be ignored too!

Couldn’t resist opening another one of these tonight. Like Kelly’s bottle, this was on a higher plane. More mature complexity that was just irresistible. What a great bottle.

Another bottle from an Alfert-enabled purchase, these just keep showing better and better, and I can’t keep my hands off:

• 1990 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (1/21/2020)
    Another bottle of this secondary market purchase in 2019. Black mold on top of cork but lower 90% of cork pristine, fill into neck like prior bottles suggesting excellent storage. Medium ruby with some bricking at rim. Beguiling nose with complex mix of red fruits, leather, moist earth, tea. Medium body, palate follows the nose, nice sweet aged complexity, excellent balance. Still some tannins but no harshness on a medium-long finish combined with plenty of fruit suggest this has years of good drinking ahead of it. Each bottle has been better than the last. Is it me or the wine? Excellent to outstanding.