TN - 2004 Pingus; 2003 Clos Ste Hune; 2001 Guiraud

A fun evening last night with some friends and some really nice whether for Atlanta in the Summer. A lot of small plates with the charcuterie plates being the highlight.

2004 Dominio Pingus Ribero del Duero - Decanted for 2 plus hours, a deep dark purple wine, fragrant with a nose of coffee, black cherry and blueberry. First sip added pronounced vanilla and some light chocolate (guessing some serious new oak when this was in the barrel). Finish was rather long and bold but not over-the-top. Kind of like an aged Shafer Hillside. And that is what it ultimately reminded me of: a modern well-made high-end Napa Cab. Very enjoyable but not a great value for the price. Would have enjoyed pairing (though didn’t) with some well-spiced lamb.

2003 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Alsace - I had some worries after reading there were pre-mox or other issues with this wine. Have held back opening for I’m guessing a decade. Decanted about an hour and enjoyed with appetizers . Deep golden color, nose and taste were not flashy but an enjoyable lemon, petrol, and vanilla. There was a a nice herb-like element to the taste as well. Did not improve over the four hours or so that we kept trying. However, a very pleasing wine.

2001 Chateau Guiraud Sauterne (375ml) - Dark gold, almost brownish color, nose of pear and apricot, sipped slowly over hour or so. Vanilla, honey and apricot. Balanced, the sweetness and the acid were in-step. Good wine but not extraordinary.

Nice notes. Never had a Pingus - both the price and the high Parker ratings dissuaded me.