TN: 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard

2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard’s Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (7/31/2019)
Interesting wine, and not at all what I expect from any US Chardonnay. This was lighter in weight, showing more minerality/salinity, and the fruit, while tropical in impression (pineapple, guava), was not ripe and sweet, but more tart and crisp, with a spritz of lemon thrown in for good measure. Good balance of acidity, that was very well integrated into the wine. It’s drinking very well right now, and does not prompt me to consider cellaring it, as while I have no doubt it would handle some aging, I don’t see that there is any need for it. Drink up, have fun.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love these wines

Great note and a singular wine. From my experience with OR Chardonnay over the last 9 years, I prefer most of my favorites in the 2-5 year range, but if you’re going to age any, this wine will reward your patience.

Agreed that the 2016 is delicious enough to drink in the near term, but I would really recommend holding a couple of bottles for 7-8 years.

Thanks for the TN David, and I am glad that you enjoyed the wine.

FYI, it showed a little bit richer fruit last night, after 24 hours. Still great balance, but a touch more palate depth.

The Chardonnay from Whistling Ridge seems to add weight, similarly to the Pinot Noirs for a few years, and then begins adding nuance after that.

Sounds exactly like the bottle that Marcus shared with a few of us a couple of weeks ago. And thanks for the reminder to order some!

loved this wine when tasting it at the winery in April. Whistling Ridge makes some great stuff. could definitely see it adding a little stuffing and nuance as it goes.