Is it legitimate to post about expensive wines?

I have been reading a number of posts lately by members calling out others for posting about something they perceived to be too elite. A couple of links makes my point (but if I looked, I could find many similar posts):

See, e.g.,

Pound eviscerated: buying opportunity in the UK - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers (post 40)

FIVE WINOS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE , MOSTLY IN BURGUNDY - Beaune, France (6/7/2019-6/15/2019) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers (e.g., post 15)

Are these legitimate complaints. Should there be a cap on the price or quantity of wines people should place on the wines they discuss on this board or are the complaints out of line.

If you are in favor of a cap, where do you draw the line: DRC? first growths? California Cults? Tete de Cuvees? Should we only be discussing QPR wines?

Obviously, I don’t like the posts I have referenced or things like them - I think they reek too much of jealousy and not much else. Different posters have different amounts of money, different priorities in life, bought wine at different times (most of my 1982 Bordeauxs cost $15 or less) or at different prices (I have bought wines at wineries in Europe at far different prices than I see in the US). But, I wanted to see what the board thinks. Is there a line that should be drawn.

Is this a serious question? I think just the number of people who clearly enjoyed the second thread shows you that there is no need for any kind of a “cap”.

Freedoms to post, read, and even ignore go together.

I don’t have any issue with ignoring - just with calling people out for spending too much money or for buying things only a limited number of people could afford (which really applies to virtually every wine posted on this board).

Ignore them. Their ability to make personal consumption choices is not exclusive to themselves.

I’ve seen posts of the sort you reference, but I don’t think either of the ones you posted qualify (and the second one is actually Kelly’s response to a prior comment about the cost of the wines).

Kevin routinely comes in for abuse for his lavish lunches; I enjoy reading about them. These are opportunities to share glorious wines with other wine nuts, and if you have the wines or can afford to buy them off the list, more power to you. I can’t imagine ever being in that class, or feeling comfortable spending the money that way even if I had it, but I certainly don’t begrudge anyone their personal “excesses.”

A variant of this issue is the 5-people-23-bottle lunch complaint. That, to me, has somewhat greater validity, since it inevitably means that exceptional – even historic – wines sit on a crowded table and get less than the focus I would think they deserve (maybe ending up in a spit bucket or a drain someplace). But even there, I am in no position to dictate how others spend their time or money, and the threads make for interesting reading.

My Mom said everyone gets an invitation or you’re not having a party. What a ridiculous thread.

You are correct. I meant post 15 and will correct.

Everybody is entitled to post about more or less expensive wines here imo - it´s more about the reason and attitude.
When the reason is to share informations and experiences I very much appreciate it.
When it´s about showing off “look what we are able to open, how much we can spend per night/what we have in the cellar” then it easily and quickly creates a sour taste of boastfulness.
I definitely hate it when a bottle of high class wine remains unfinished on the table due to the sheer number of bottles opened, just to taste something more rare/expensive.
It is absolutely impossible that 5 people drink up 23 bottles of wine - it´s totally excessive, it´s a complete waste, it´s a great pity. (I did not read the cited thread though).
So it´s up to everybody how he/she presents himself/hersef here - I certainly draw my conclusions from it —

Censorship?

I enjoy reading the posts of the gentleman from France and The Philippines. It’s fun to read about high end wines and lavish meals.

Howard, I think you’re off base here.

I thought this was covered in the excessible ballin thread.

I think you should reread my OP and what I am objecting to.

I don’t drink every wine, but I enjoy hearing about them (the highs and lows). I hope this thread does not shame those who drink these wines from sharing their stories and notes.

This is, more or less, a statement posing as a question. Given that the posts in question are very much in the minority, why not simply ignore them?

Of course people can post on whatever wines they like. Not everyone has to enjoy reading them. But presumably, we don’t need to reverse legislate and curtail a few complaints.

You are allowed to post on ultra expensive wines and tastings permitted you ship me one representative bottle per occurrence. Thank you.

I did and I still don’t understand.

Howard,

The negative posts in response to the type of TN’s you mention are far, far less frequent than they were on Squires or the early years of this board. If the post contains tasting notes and not just a list of wines, there should be no problem whatever the cost of the wines.

Even though sometimes the ‘nectar and ambrosia’ posted may be out of my league, I enjoy seeing what other people drink. I think a good number of people that frequent such wine are pretty honest about the quality of what they drink. This and cellar tracker are valuable resources for me personally, especially considering the price point of Burgundy these days, to see what bottles may be shut down, dead, or just bad QPR.