Terpines from cannabis and vineyards-any experience?

Hi. Santa Barbara is wrestling with large- 50+ acres- open field cannabis growing next to or near vineyards. This raises spray drift issues from the vineyards to the cannabis field and terpenes contamination from the cannabis field to the vineyard. Anybody in Oregon or elsewhere have any experience with these issues? Thank you.

Not on this board to my knowledge, but the Momtazi family filed suit against a neighboring operation, claiming grape purchase contracts were cancelled over fears of taint.

I can tell you definitively that there is no possible way for wine grapes to be tainted by cannabis flowers in any way. The resin that is produced by cannabis flowers is a solid and cannot be airborne. Thereā€™s no chemical way the aroma from these flowers can bind with sugars or the skins of grapes as well. This is a complete non issue.
Regarding spray drift, cannabis regulations in CA. are so insanely strict we are not allowed to use ANY form of chemical pesticide, herbicide, or fungicide on the plants. There is a $1000 test that needs to be performed on every batch of cannabis in order for it to be sold in the Cal Cannabis system. They test for over 200 contaminants, including heavy metals. The smell at or before harvest is strong but thereā€™s no physical way it can taint wine grapes.

1 Like

If you can smell it in the air, why do you think it canā€™t be deposited on the grapes? Is it different from Eucalyptus oil? Because we know that can get into the wine in nearby vineyards.

Its much different from Eucalyptus in that the leaves of Eucalyptus have oil on then and can be blown onto and stick to grape skins. Cannabis flowers donā€™t have oils of any type on their leaves or flowers. The flowers are loaded with resin trichomes but they are solid and arent unable to be carried by the wind. I donā€™t believe itā€™s chemically possible for an aroma to be transfered to grape skins.

Too bad :wink:

What chemicals produce the smell of a field of cannabis and where do they come from? If they are present in the air to stimulate our sense of smell, why canā€™t they land on the skin of a grape?

David, there are numerous chemical odors that a cannabis field would emit. Ironically many are the same compounds are found in wine. One simple prime example is Linalool. Itā€™s a very aromatic terpene alcohol and is one of the major constituents of cannabis aroma. It is also a compound found in the Fiano grape. One reason (plus other compounds such as Geraniol) that Fiano makes such aromatic wines.

On a molecular level it is pretty amazing what makes up many of the flavors we have come to know and love (and hate sometimes :slight_smile:

Tom

Correct.

I read an interview of Barnaby Tuttle of Teutonic Wine Company yesterday which adds an interesting perspective to this ā€œdebateā€:

HW: ā€œLast year, you sent a couple of your wines in to a cannabis testing lab to see if they contained terpenes [the aromatic components in plants that give them their particular aroma and, in the case of cannabis, contribute to the type of high you experience.] Why did you do this?ā€

BT: ā€œI donā€™t like to speak in absolutes, and I kept telling people that this wine shares things with cannabis. I knew it was true, but I just wanted to have it on paper. I think it was the Muscat that came back, and it had the same profile as Lemon Sour Diesel.ā€

Okay, different from eucalyptus, but there is a very strong smell in the air around harvest time. So, there must be something getting into the air, right? I donā€™t understand how this fits with what youā€™re saying. Can you explain?

Maysara winery has been suing there neighboring cannabis grow facility for years so far with no settlement. My son is representing the cannabis growers.

Lawrence,

Do you know if the winery has turned in any ā€˜scientificā€™ data? Would be really interested in hearing about it if possible - and to see if it sheds more light on the subject . . .

Cheers!

Here in Colorado we are actually in the process of initiating some research on such possible transfer of hemp VOC to neighboring vineyards.

Kyle,

Who is conducting the research? A local university? Curious to hear and what exactly theyā€™ll be looking for . . .

Cheers!

Wait, the research hasnā€™t been done? There is a lot of certainty in this thread for not having any actual scientific data.

1 Like

Hmm. And a lotta money to be made from cannabis.

Yes, Colorado State University and CO Dept of Agriculture. Looking to see if any Volatile Organic Compounds from hemp are transferred onto grapes of adjacent vineyards. Nothing has been done yet, but some of our growers were wondering if this is something they should be aware/concerned about. Hence, research to find an answer.

So is the research being done because the wineries are concerned about it or was it prompted for some other reason? Curious to hear . . .

Cheers