2005 Haut Brion

Has anyone opened an 05 HB? How was it?? I recently opened one and was extremely disappointed. No nose and nothing but a lot of fruit. What am I missing???

What are you missing? At least 20 additional years of patience.

How much air time did you give it?

That’s pretty much what I would have expected from this wine at 15. 05 was a very masculine vintage. At least another 10 I should think

Gave it 4 hours aeration

Its sibling, LMHB, continues to age undisturbed. I will consider opening in 2025.

[winner.gif]

I’ve had 2001 and 2002 in the last couple of years, and both showed well, though the 2001 will improve with more patience. But I think 2005 in particular is a vintage that demands much more time, as seemingly confirmed by David’s experience.

I thought the 06 was quite nice about 6 months ago, though I wouldn’t have called it “ready” either.

I’ve got just over a half case of the '02, but recent CT notes have given me pause regarding readiness. How was it drinking and what did you think about its future? Generally I prefer my bordeaux at this level with 25 years at least, but haven’t had enough from the '02 vintage to understand much about its aging curve and calibrate my expectations.

Yup. I would imagine the 01 would be really nice about now. Not sure about the 02; I have so little experience with the vintage

Perhaps it is just not to your taste. I’ve had the wine several times, most recently in 2015 and I think it is exceptional. Although not as good as the sublime 2005 LMHB. Yes, it is going to be better in 10, and even better in 20 years, but I do not find it closed, or simple. FWIW, the 4 hours of air you gave it was more than ample IMO. If it was my bottle, that is what I would have done.

You can see my notes here : https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bordeaux-wine-producer-profiles/bordeaux/graves-pessac/haut-brion/