Napa Cab under $100

Hi everyone,

I know this is a played-out topic but I have a specific question so I’m hoping I can tap the collective wisdom here.

It’s about a month until my wife’s 30th birthday. She loves Napa cabs, but we barely ever drink them at home (in part because of price, in part because she humors my predilection for the weird and far-flung). I’d like to get her something special to drink on her birthday. My constraints are:

(1) Under $100 (this is a semi-firm limit. 110 or 120 would be doable if it’s really worth it; 150-200 wouldn’t).
(2) Drinking well now, preferably without a huge decant
(3) Available to purchase in the next month
(4) Her tastes - I‘ll confess to not being an expert in the differences between Napa cabs. What I can tell you is that she has enjoyed La Jota, Mayacamas, Newton, Hall, Robert Craig Affinity, Mt Veeder, Alpha Omega. She also doesn’t have much of a taste for old wine. I’d say under 20 years is safest (probably can’t afford older anyway).

Thanks!

Have a look at 2015 Pilcrow Pym-Rae Cabernet. It is $95, and the peak of Mt. Veeder. I have had it, and really liked it.

The Pym-Rae vineyard was owned by Robin Williams, and as I understand it the fruit was sold to multiple wineries. In late 2015 Alfred Tesseron of Pontet-Canet fame bought the winery, and began making their own wine. (The 2016 release of the Tesseron Pym-Rae is expexted this fall.)

So, the Pilcrow is one of the last wines made from Pym-Rae before Tesseron took it over. Makes for a cool story, and is a very good wine (IMHO)…

Recently saw some back vintages fo Chateau Montelena “Estate” cab from the 2000’s for around $110. See K&L website, they have a handful. I’m not at all a Napa cab drinker normally (so can’t give other recommendations), but these seem like a decent value as far as Napa goes and already have some age on them. Gave the 2005 a shot and enjoyed it. Old world leaning stylistically.

Matthiasson - specifically their Red Wine.

Readily available and under $100 is Chappellet “signature”.

This one is easy. Frogs Leap 2016 Estate Cab (current release) is $65.00 and for me tastes way better than most Napa Cabs costing 2X or more.

https://store.frogsleap.com/

Tom

FWIW, Jonah Beer VP at Frog’s Leap, and his wife, Sara, are the winemakers of Pilcrow.

Are you looking for more old school traditional Napa, or fruit forward, lush, but quality Napa cabs?

A few options more old school:

Corison Napa Valley (around $100), can order from the winery if there aren’t local options
Chappellet Signature (around $60 in my area)
Frog’s Leap (around $60 in my area)

I’d also add O’Shaughnessy Napa bottling, exceptional for $75.

Go get the 2011 Dunn Howell Mountain. It appears to be available on the K&L website for $99. That is a steal for a wine of this caliber.

Hall Eighteen Seventy Three vineyard is a great cab at $75 via wine.com. One of the few instances where wine.com has the best price. Drinks above its price point, drinking well now and from a producer you know she likes. Enjoy!

You may want to get in touch with board member Merrill Lindquist. She’s in Calistoga and her Black Cat Cabernet Sauvignons sound like they’re right in your wife’s wheel house.

Any thoughts on Stony Hill cab? I’ve never tried one but pricing seems reasonable.

It’s very fine, but needs to age.

Psst . . . Champagne!

Psst…not what he’s asking about

no shit!!!

Chappellet signature. About $60.
If you have access to total wine, use this coupon 2328 for 20% off of 6 bottles.

Another option is the chateau montrose 2015 in costco for $99.97. They should have 2 in the Santa Rosa costco.

Jean Edward’s Cabs are all delicious. Karen is an active member on this board. Taste great young with good decent. All of her wines meet your price point.

My favorites under $100 that you can still get your hands on:

2016 bevan Ontogeny
2016 outpost howell mountain
2013 Hidden Ridge 55 Slope